Interesting Situation at Church

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning » 02 Jul 2013, 15:24

Thought you be interested in this ward where a disagreement over a saved seat led to a fist fight and an arrest. View the video below.

http://fox13now.com/2013/07/01/police-a ... ds-church/

Will there be a letter from the first presidency over the impropriety of seat saving now? (just kidding).
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

A man asked Jesus "do all roads lead to you?" Jesus responds,”most roads don’t lead anywhere, but I will travel any road to find you.” Adapted from The Shack, William Young

Outofstep

Re: Interesting Situation at Church

Post by Outofstep » 02 Jul 2013, 16:33

I shouldn't be laughing, but I am. In my last 3 wards, seating arrangements have been sacred. It is usually the older people though, so no fist fights have broken out. I did sit in one sister's sacred seat once, and she muttered through the entire SM about how I was sitting in her seat. I wanted to turn and say, "I heard you! I will never sit here again!" My DH, on the other hand, tried to sit in that seat for several weeks later... but I wouldn't let him.

Minyan Man

Post by Minyan Man » 02 Jul 2013, 16:51

That's hilarious.
I have to go to church more.

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 02 Jul 2013, 17:21

I like to sit in different places just to mess with people. Seriously. No, seriously. :D

My wife doesn't appreciate it.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

cwald

Post by cwald » 02 Jul 2013, 17:30

Haha. Great post SD.

So we went to church Sunday. A single lady who seldom goes to church was sitting in the middle of a six seat row...the only row that would fit our fam. OUR ROW... I went and and sat right next to her and told kids to have a seat. After a bit, she asked if she should move. I said, nope, we're comfortable. And that is how I spent sacrament meeting.

No fist fights

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
  Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn't participate enthusiastically. - Robert Kirby

mackay11

Post by mackay11 » 02 Jul 2013, 18:54

For a while our family moved seats every week (about 3-4 years ago).

It did get some odd looks from people. But no-one said anything.

It was a fun way of better getting to know different families as we'd always turn and chat with whoever was behind/in-front after the meeting.

AngryMormon

Post by AngryMormon » 02 Jul 2013, 23:36

I can't believe this happened!

Brown

Post by Brown » 03 Jul 2013, 00:01

I'm shocked to hear all these stories of how it is taboo or controversial to not sit in the same row. I honestly just show up and take the first empty row I find. Never once thinking people claim benches or caring one bit about who sits where (or even noticing). Maybe I am a pew rebel/thief and didn't even know it? :lol:

hawkgrrrl
Site Admin

Post by hawkgrrrl » 04 Jul 2013, 08:22

In Protestant churches in the early days, families would actually buy a pew in the church that would have their family name on it. That's a bit easier when families stayed put for multiple generations and could continue to sit in the family pew. In our churches, we do seem to get accustomed to sitting in roughly the same place every time, and visitors can really freak some people out. We did a poll on this one at Wheat & Tares, and it looks so far like people are saying seat saving should not be allowed: http://www.wheatandtares.org/12284/brea ... with-poll/

SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning » 04 Jul 2013, 10:04

Ben Franklin paid to have a reserved seat in several different churches. It was because he was a printer and wanted the printing business. But the fact they allowed it showed that seat saving was part of life during that period. And people paid to have a particular seat reserved for them.
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

A man asked Jesus "do all roads lead to you?" Jesus responds,”most roads don’t lead anywhere, but I will travel any road to find you.” Adapted from The Shack, William Young