Roadshows

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Re: Roadshows

Post by Curt Sunshine » 16 Jun 2013, 14:34

My daughter is attending Utah State this fall, so she will get to experience the foreign country that can be Cache Valley.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Ilovechrist77

Post by Ilovechrist77 » 16 Jun 2013, 15:53

My stake had road shows in the 80s, but for some reason we haven't had any since, I think, the early 90s.

Origami

Roadshows

Post by Origami » 16 Jun 2013, 16:31

Ray USU is a great school and Cache Valley is a beautiful place. I think your daughter will like it here. The church members can be intense here though. I guess they can anywhere though.

Plus, she might get to be in one of those roadshows that seem to be extinct in other parts of the world.

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 16 Jun 2013, 17:05

USU is a great school and Cache Valley is a beautiful place.

I agree on both counts. She is excited to start college, and USU seems to be a perfect fit for her.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Kumahito

Post by Kumahito » 16 Jun 2013, 19:48

My little stake in Australia is having roadshows soon - ugh. Wasn't a fan of them in my youth; less of a fan now.
"An idea that is not dangerous is unworthy of being called an idea at all."
- Oscar Wilde

Ann

Post by Ann » 16 Jun 2013, 21:32

Kumahito wrote:My little stake in Australia is having roadshows soon - ugh. Wasn't a fan of them in my youth; less of a fan now.
Oh, sorry. I guess there was no memo!
"Preachers err by trying to talk people into belief; better they reveal the radiance of their own discovery." - Joseph Campbell

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Marcel Proust

"Therefore they said unto him, How were thine eyes opened? He answered and said unto them, A man that is called Jesus made clay, and anointed my eyes...." - John 9:10-11

mackay11

Roadshows

Post by mackay11 » 16 Jun 2013, 22:00

Kumahito wrote:My little stake in Australia is having roadshows soon - ugh. Wasn't a fan of them in my youth; less of a fan now.
You'll miss them once they're gone :)

mackay11

Roadshows

Post by mackay11 » 16 Jun 2013, 22:05

Ann wrote:
Oh, sorry. I guess there was no memo!
I love the fact that some stakes just seem to have ignored the advice to end them. Roadshow/no-roadshow is not a practice of 'the true church.'

I like to think that some SP will open directives and direct them straight to the 'circular file in the corner or the room.'

My last two BPs in UK would do that all the time (I was councillor to both). There was something from Elder Ballard (??) a few years back (Ward Mission Program or something)... BP read through it in a PEC and announced 'its complicated bureaucracy. We're not doing it. Just keep looking after the people who need it most'

rich

Post by rich » 21 Jun 2013, 05:57

Roadshows were stopped many years ago in the church??

Can we get that memo recirculated? Our stake has one this year and I have a feeling I will be required to participate...

kristmace

Post by kristmace » 21 Jun 2013, 07:25

rich wrote:Roadshows were stopped many years ago in the church??

Can we get that memo recirculated? Our stake has one this year and I have a feeling I will be required to participate...
They're definitely still a big event in some stakes here in the UK, but there is big variation.