General Conference April 2013

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
eman

Re: General Conference April 2013

Post by eman » 07 Apr 2013, 14:05

church0333 wrote:Elder Holland's last ten minutes could have been written by many of here on stayLDS. He spoke to us. He spoke to me. We need hope and he delivered.
I believe DBMormon mentioned someone would be addressing faith crisis to some degree. I waited all conference to hear it. 1 minute into Hollands and I figured I had found it. :)
-
“I want the liberty of thinking and believing as I please. It feels so good not to be trammelled. It does not prove that a man is not a good man because he errs in doctrine.” (Joseph Smith, Discourse to Saints, April 1843; DHC 5:340)

Featherina

Post by Featherina » 07 Apr 2013, 14:06

jamison wrote:PiperAlpha wrote
As always, some talks are great, others I can do without. Therefore the buffet style works better for me than suggesting (like obedience)
I got in a big fight with my wife during conference because I said that I don't have to watch every talk, and I have issues with some of the statements and the unclear meanings and ambiguities. I left my home today, very disgusted.
Ooh - I feel for you.
Today, my DH is busy with other things, so it's been really nice to be able to do Conference Buffet, with my kids.
I know they haven't complained! :lol:

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 07 Apr 2013, 14:07

I have a few more minutes than I thought.

This talk addressing emotional abuse is important. I just wanted to say that before I leave.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

eman

Post by eman » 07 Apr 2013, 14:09

jamison wrote: I got in a big fight with my wife during conference because I said that I don't have to watch every talk, and I have issues with some of the statements and the unclear meanings and ambiguities. I left my home today, very disgusted.
Sorry to hear it. I got into a couple minor disagreements with my wife as well. I was very optimistic about conference but she went into it with the expectation that I was only "looking for things wrong" (which I really wasn't..I was looking for E. Holland's talk :) ) So of course when I casually mentioned that technically a woman could have a baby without a man (via cloning) she snapped.
-
“I want the liberty of thinking and believing as I please. It feels so good not to be trammelled. It does not prove that a man is not a good man because he errs in doctrine.” (Joseph Smith, Discourse to Saints, April 1843; DHC 5:340)

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 07 Apr 2013, 14:56

President Monson:

Be tolerant, kind, and loving to people who don’t share our beliefs or standards.

Great way to end. Now we just need to live it.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

church0333

Post by church0333 » 07 Apr 2013, 14:59

I have been following the conversation here and NOM and man is there a difference. I am glad that we at least try to see the positive when we can. I think for the most part this conference has given us some hope, not just fodder for snarky remarks.

cwald

Post by cwald » 07 Apr 2013, 15:02

jamison wrote:If it wasn't for President Uctdorf, everything would just be Ho Hum in the Church.

I did not listen to the Sunday Morning session since I don't see how any of it will change my life for the better. ...
I looked up Urchdorf priesthood session talk. It was very good. I thought his Sunday morning talk was excellent...forgiveness...something the Dalai Lama would have said. Very universal.

I then watched Bednar and Perry talks and realized that once again the church will take one step forward and two steps backwards. I felt ill listening to Perry. Which caused me deep sadness and reminded me why I need to limit my participation...both here and in all things Mormon. But, Uchtdorf, I appreciate the kind words and the invitation.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
  Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn't participate enthusiastically. - Robert Kirby

Ann

Post by Ann » 07 Apr 2013, 15:07

Ray Degraw wrote:Elder Holland:
"I am not asking you to pretend to faith you do not have."

Holy. Crap. I. Didn't. Expect. This. I really like this talk do far - a lot. There are now too many great quotes to list. They are coming fast and furious.

Seriously, I want to say, "DAMN! This is stunning!" I'm sitting here with tears in my eyes.

I'm closing this comment and just listening.
He almost lost me with characterizations like the "hyperventilating" one, but I trust his intent and I will be re-reading this often. I'm encouraged. The one-word summary for me was: integrity. Thankful today. And thanks to everyone here.
"Preachers err by trying to talk people into belief; better they reveal the radiance of their own discovery." - Joseph Campbell

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Marcel Proust

"Therefore they said unto him, How were thine eyes opened? He answered and said unto them, A man that is called Jesus made clay, and anointed my eyes...." - John 9:10-11

cwald

Post by cwald » 07 Apr 2013, 15:08

church0333 wrote:I have been following the conversation here and NOM and man is there a difference. I am glad that we at least try to see the positive when we can. I think for the most part this conference has given us some hope, not just fodder for snarky remarks.
Go back and read my threads from oct 2010 conference. ;)

I could say a lot, especially about Perry. But what is the point?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
  Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn't participate enthusiastically. - Robert Kirby

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 07 Apr 2013, 15:17

But what is the point?

Yup. ;)

Fwiw, friend, I thought this conference was two steps forward, one step back. Different glasses, I know. :D