General Conference April 2013

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
insomniac

Re: General Conference April 2013

Post by insomniac » 07 Apr 2013, 13:16

I'd say the sister who gave the afternoon session invocation took advantage of a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. Her prayer was just about that long. :mrgreen:
Last edited by insomniac on 07 Apr 2013, 13:22, edited 1 time in total.

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 07 Apr 2013, 13:16

Elder Holland:

I like the emphasis on how hard it was on the parents who were begging for their child to be healed.
"One way or another, that (being 'young in faith') should apply to all of us."

"Hold the ground you have already won, even if that ground is limited."

I know those quotes can be interpreted differently, but I really like them as worded.

Desperation is going to come to all of us. (I really like that statement.)
"I am not asking you to pretend to faith you do not have."

Holy. Crap. I. Didn't. Expect. This. I really like this talk do far - a lot. There are now too many great quotes to list. They are coming fast and furious.

Seriously, I want to say, "DAMN! This is stunning!" I'm sitting here with tears in my eyes.

I'm closing this comment and just listening.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

insomniac

Post by insomniac » 07 Apr 2013, 13:35

Elder Holland's defense of simple "belief" was amazing, especially in the light of recent discussions here.

I can only hope the kid mentioned in the talk would turn around and relate the experience in the same way - and if so, that he (it was a boy, right?) can hang onto the experience. Because someday, the kid will have the opposite experience with someone else.

church0333

Post by church0333 » 07 Apr 2013, 13:39

Elder Holland's last ten minutes could have been written by many of here on stayLDS. He spoke to us. He spoke to me. We need hope and he delivered.

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 07 Apr 2013, 13:39

Elder Oaks:

It's interesting to juxtapose Elder Holland's and Elder Oaks' styles and approaches. Elder Oaks works for lots of people, and I appreciate the core messages he tends to share, but his approach simply doesn't work for me often.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

jamison

Post by jamison » 07 Apr 2013, 13:44

If it wasn't for President Uctdorf, everything would just be Ho Hum in the Church.

I did not listen to the Sunday Morning session since I don't see how any of it will change my life for the better.

Perception bunch of rich white dudes telling us to hang on and life will get better, doesn't suit my needs when I am set back by 10 years of my life.
"Ignorance, fear, and conflict are the basic elements of everyday consciousness" Marvin Harris -- Cows, Pigs, Wars, and Witches.

jamison

Post by jamison » 07 Apr 2013, 13:51

PiperAlpha wrote
As always, some talks are great, others I can do without. Therefore the buffet style works better for me than suggesting (like obedience)
I got in a big fight with my wife during conference because I said that I don't have to watch every talk, and I have issues with some of the statements and the unclear meanings and ambiguities. I left my home today, very disgusted.
"Ignorance, fear, and conflict are the basic elements of everyday consciousness" Marvin Harris -- Cows, Pigs, Wars, and Witches.

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 07 Apr 2013, 13:52

Elder Golden:

Shout out to faithful Christians throughout history. Good starting point.

Devotion to God is nothing more than between us and our maker. I really like that statement.

This is an excellent talk so far.

I love Intercessory Prayer references. That is one of my favorite scriptural passages.

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 07 Apr 2013, 13:58

I have to take a break for a bit and help with family stuff.

(It also saves me from having to try to spell the next two speakers' names if I miss it on the screen.) :oops:

Featherina

Post by Featherina » 07 Apr 2013, 14:02

Ray Degraw wrote:...We can't sit in the darkness and wait for someone to flip the switch.

Jesus is the light. Heavenly Father knows you will make mistakes, stumble and falter, possibly many times.

The mention of the conditions in West Africa and the attitudes of the members is moving - very, very moving.

There is great hope for the Church when this man (and Pres. Eyring) is helping lead it.
Yeah, he didn't let me down.
I like that he focuses on relatable analogies - like parables.
I LOVED the story about the brothers and sisters in West Africa - how they were surrounded by darkness/difficulties, but shown with such light and life!

I love several other points he made...
-Darkness exists, but don't dwell there. Dwell in the light - that's healing.
-It takes an act of faith to open our eyes to the light of Christ - spiritual things must be spiritually discerned.
-We don't wait to be perfect to receive God's blessings - even the 1st steps, we begin to be blessed. The light will come.
-Rise up to become the way you were meant to be.