General Conference April 2013

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Re: General Conference April 2013

Post by Curt Sunshine » 07 Apr 2013, 09:05

That story is a complete non-story for me - especially since he was 33 at the time and only doing his professional duty. Seriously, absolute non-story to me.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 07 Apr 2013, 09:17

Pres. Uchtdorf: All of have times when we feel we are surrounded by darkness. I love that he is using an example of someone who continued to suffer long after baptism and sought counseling and medical help in order to deal with it.

"The practical application of faith, hope and charity"

We can't sit in the darkness and wait for someone to flip the switch.

Jesus is the light. Heavenly Father knows you will make mistakes, stumble and falter, possibly many times.

The mention of the conditions in West Africa and the attitudes of the members is moving - very, very moving.

There is great hope for the Church when this man (and Pres. Eyring) is helping lead it.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 07 Apr 2013, 09:25

Elder Anderson:

This talk is an answer to why the leadership reports growth - but I like that he said explicitly that "we are small in number".

His discussion of the young women who responded in five days to the mission age change includes my oldest daughter. It’s a bit emotional for me.

Jesus said, "I am the light you should hold up."

We respect each others' choice and timing. We love those who choose not to participate regardless.

He just said to share our thoughts online daily!!! Think he had StayLDS in mind? :lol:

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 07 Apr 2013, 09:54

Sister Wixom:

To speak to a child's heart, we must know a child's needs. Speak encouraging words to children.

I like the example of the child in the fabric store. We really do need to quit freaking out about our children as much as we tend to do.

"In whom I am well pleased" is important for our children to hear.

PiperAlpha

Post by PiperAlpha » 07 Apr 2013, 10:04

Ray Degraw wrote:Elder Anderson:
He just said to share our thoughts online daily!!! Think he had StayLDS in mind? :lol:
nice!

I'm sensing a heavy theme in conference is missionary work. With the age change, more people must be thinking about it, more missionaries are in the field and more families impacted by it. They seem to talk about it alot.
“As individually and collectively we increase our knowledge, acceptance, and application of gospel principles, we become less dependent on Church programs. Our lives become gospel centered.”
Elder Ronald E. Poelman, General Conference Oct 1984

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 07 Apr 2013, 10:09

Elder Clayton:

His four-year-old granddaughter told him to, "Watch and learn." Nice image.

I'm cringing more than just a bit about observing happy, successful marriages, but I'm withholding judgment.

First point is good. Both need to leave parents behind.

I don't like equating church attendance, tithing, etc. to happy, successful marriages - or the reference to commands and buffet choice. I agree with the concept of keeping commandments, but I don't like the examples he chose.

Repentance is important. Amen.

Most of this is good, but I don't like the extremist tone of "never", "completely", etc.

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 07 Apr 2013, 10:15

Elder Perry:

I really dislike battle analogies when dealing with nothing more than people who disagree with us and are willing to be just as vocal as we want to be.

He is wrong: "Commandments" do change. God's might not, but it's impossible to distinguish clearly God's from our interpretations of them and our own rules we view as commandments.

This is one I won't spend any time or energy on when it's over. I usually like Elder Perry's talks more than I like this one. This one just isn't doing it for me.

PiperAlpha

Post by PiperAlpha » 07 Apr 2013, 10:29

Ray Degraw wrote:Elder Clayton:

I'm cringing more than just a bit about observing happy, successful marriages, but I'm withholding judgment.
I'm not really withholding judgment. I don't care for the message it sends and what people will take from it for those in our congregation who go through divorce which has nothing to do with paying tithing or church attendance in my opinion.

As always, some talks are great, others I can do without. Therefore the buffet style works better for me than suggesting (like obedience) I MUST like everything or something is wrong with me. Nah, I'm not up for that. I'll just skip to the next option in conference and listen to another talk.

Elder Clayton is a pass for me.
“As individually and collectively we increase our knowledge, acceptance, and application of gospel principles, we become less dependent on Church programs. Our lives become gospel centered.”
Elder Ronald E. Poelman, General Conference Oct 1984

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 07 Apr 2013, 10:45

President Monson:

I actually like the way that Pres. Monson is addressing "keeping the commandments" and "obedience" compared to how Elder Perry did so. That probably says more about me than about either of them, but it also highlights that different members needs to hear the same things in different ways - which is why I try hard not to get upset when someone speaks about something in a way that doesn't do anything for me. I try to remember that it probably is doing something for someone else.

The fire story is fun and instructive. I love his facial expressions - and his willingness to admit stupid things he's done. It is genuine and part of his personality. I also love how he talks so much about individuals in his talks. It is a central aspect of his vision, and I love that he is almost obsessive in that focus on individuals and their inspiring stories. It is SO different than a more "intellectual" or numerical approach.

I really like talks on keeping the commandments that focus on teaching correct principles and allowing people to govern themselves without trying to specify those commandments. Again, that probably says more about me than about the speaker, but that is the main difference I see in this talk and the last one.

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 07 Apr 2013, 13:03

Sister Carol M. Stephens is giving the invocation.

Two prayers - one opening and one closing!!! No Bishop or Stake President now has a leg to stand on if they try to say women can't give opening prayers in Sacrament Meeting, Stake Conference or any other meeting! :clap: :clap: :clap: