General Conference April 2013

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Re: General Conference April 2013

Post by Curt Sunshine » 06 Apr 2013, 21:00

(I drove all night to get home today, so I was napping during the second session.)

I LOVED Pres. Uchtdorf's Priesthood session talk. Seriously, one of my instant all-time favorites. He channeled Elder Wirthlin's "Concern for the One" - and I am positive that talk was part of the preparation for this one. Stunning - truly stunning. PLEASE, everyone here, watch it online. The talk itself was amazing, but you will miss much of the emotion of it if you only read it.

Please, please, please watch it.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Ilovechrist77

Post by Ilovechrist77 » 06 Apr 2013, 21:09

The priesthood session was excellent. President Uchtdorf and President Eyering talks were the best of all. Uchtdorf had some excellent comments about members of the church being allowed their different personalities. Ray, I agree with you about Elder Cardon's talk from the earlier sessions.

eman

Post by eman » 06 Apr 2013, 22:15

Ray Degraw wrote:(I drove all night to get home today, so I was napping during the second session.)

I LOVED Pres. Uchtdorf's Priesthood session talk. Seriously, one of my instant all-time favorites. He channeled Elder Wirthlin's "Concern for the One" - and I am positive that talk was part of the preparation for this one. Stunning - truly stunning. PLEASE, everyone here, watch it online. The talk itself was amazing, but you will miss much of the emotion of it if you only read it.

Plus, if you don't watch it you won't hear the enthusiastic "AMEN" from a huge Uchtdorf fan... :)

And I agree...I LOVED his talk. Absolutely wonderful. Aside from just the content, the delivery was great. The way he set's up a certain image of God and then say I don't believe in a God like this...or something like this. I look forward to reading it again.
-
“I want the liberty of thinking and believing as I please. It feels so good not to be trammelled. It does not prove that a man is not a good man because he errs in doctrine.” (Joseph Smith, Discourse to Saints, April 1843; DHC 5:340)

johnh

Post by johnh » 06 Apr 2013, 23:17

It is on YouTube now. It is quite good. Love that guy.

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 06 Apr 2013, 23:18

church0333 wrote:
Curt Sunshine wrote:church0333, actually Joseph was mentioned explicitly as a serial sinner who needed to be forgiven constantly over the years. :thumbup:

How's that for different? :clap:
I must have missed that. Who's talk was that?

Elder Cardon in his talk about forgiveness.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Ann

Post by Ann » 07 Apr 2013, 00:53

Curt Sunshine wrote:(I drove all night to get home today, so I was napping during the second session.)

I don't know how to describe what he manages to do. So encouraging and real. "Stand tall and walk towards God."
"Preachers err by trying to talk people into belief; better they reveal the radiance of their own discovery." - Joseph Campbell

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Marcel Proust

"Therefore they said unto him, How were thine eyes opened? He answered and said unto them, A man that is called Jesus made clay, and anointed my eyes...." - John 9:10-11

Ann

Post by Ann » 07 Apr 2013, 01:04

johnh wrote: . . . . Bednar left me cold as well.
Haven't yet had any other reaction to him. I listened to an interview of him and his wife, thinking that maybe I just needed to hear him in a different setting. Didn't change anything for me, unfortunately.
"Preachers err by trying to talk people into belief; better they reveal the radiance of their own discovery." - Joseph Campbell

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Marcel Proust

"Therefore they said unto him, How were thine eyes opened? He answered and said unto them, A man that is called Jesus made clay, and anointed my eyes...." - John 9:10-11

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 07 Apr 2013, 04:25

I honestly can't be bothered with GC just now... I'm not in the mood to see a bunch of old men in suits reading speeches off teleprompters that they probably didn't write themselves... on a large television in a meetinghouse.

So I haven't watched any of it. Wake me up if something actually happens.

I've gone off Pres Uchtdorf since I heard about the supposed hostage negotiation business. He's a good speaker but honestly I often hear better talks outside GC than I do in it.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

mackay11

General Conference April 2013

Post by mackay11 » 07 Apr 2013, 04:43

SamBee wrote:
I've gone off Pres Uchtdorf since I heard about the supposed hostage negotiation business.
Sorry... The what?

Featherina

Post by Featherina » 07 Apr 2013, 07:50

Ray,
Thanks for the update - very much appreciated.
Just the thought of listening to conference makes me queezy... and if my kids listen to some today, I'm going to have to be on edge, to be sure to correct sin (incorrect thoughts).
I was hoping to find out if Uchtdorf spoke or has yet to speak - he's one I can generally trust to not enage in cognitive distortions besides the mild ones worked into Mormon terminology.
Since it seems he didn't speak yesterday (besides Priesthood) maybe he'll speak today.

Sam,
Even if the story about Uchtodorf was exaggerated, it doesn't bother me.
It's probably more about the church PR - or even if Uchtdorf is looking for brownie points - what's new?
(Mackay - here's a little more info on it... http://www.mormoncurtain.com/topic_diet ... tion1.html)
Still, it's a good reminder that words and actions are not always related.