General Conference April 2013

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

General Conference April 2013

Post by Curt Sunshine » 06 Apr 2013, 09:22

Elder Packer's talk is one of my favorite of his so far. The poem is profound, personal and moving.

Even with the standard "family under attack" theme, the imagery he actually used is powerful - and it's instructive what he didn't say. For example, when talking about fathers and their responsibilities to their families, he never used the word "preside" in any form. He also never defined any particular example of something that is attacking the family. I know he was addressing certain topics that are his focus, but he never identified any particular topic. I really like that - even when I wouldn't have agreed with some things if he had specified some things.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Re: General Conference April 2013

Post by Curt Sunshine » 06 Apr 2013, 09:43

Elder Davies' talk was a standard talk, but it was very well structured.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 06 Apr 2013, 09:50

Pres. Dalton's description of her mother is moving. I also love her statement that her mother insisted that they all receive a college education so they could be meaningful contributors to society.

I know her vacuuming example is going to be ripped apart in lots of places, but it was an amazing part of a really good story that ended with her husband asking her what scripture to inscribe into the carpet and her speaking in General Conference while standing on that carpet.

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 06 Apr 2013, 10:01

I really like Elder Cardon's talk about forgiveness so far. He is stressing how liberally Jesus forgives, and he used Joseph Smith as the prime example of someone who sinned regularly. He even said that serious, repeated sins can be forgiven.

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 06 Apr 2013, 10:14

Elder Ballard just said that men can administer the ordinances of the Priesthood but that they are not the Priesthood - and that the authority to administer ordinances is different than then power of the Priesthood. Otherwise, this was a pretty standard talk about Priesthood, but, again, it's interesting what he didn't say in this talk.

I will have to go back and read it, but I also think he mentioned a woman "using this power" in raising her children. Don't hold me to that, since I was distracted a bit at that moment.

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 06 Apr 2013, 10:29

The benediction will be offered by the First Counselor in the Primary Presidency, Sister Jean Stevens.

It is official - and Pres. Uchtdorf's expression when he announced it (a very slight grin, unless I misread it) was priceless.

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 06 Apr 2013, 10:30

Pres. Eyring's talk is what he normally delivers, including the emotional reaction he almost always has - a message of love and our relationship with God.

I really love this man.

As an aside, I had the chance to ask Jan Shipps (one of the leading non-Mormon scholars of Mormonism) once who her favorite Mormon apostle was. She mentioned a few, including calling Pres. Uchtdorf a Mormon rock star, but she concluded by saying that Pres. Eyring is one of the most gentle, humble, dedicated, loving leaders she has ever met.

church0333

Post by church0333 » 06 Apr 2013, 10:59

I have noticed a lot of JC and nothing per say about JS. Good talks and a good spirit. I do wonder how much people like us and the 1000s of other vocal questioning members effect the tone of GC.

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 06 Apr 2013, 11:00

I usually don't comment on the prayers, but this one was short, to the point and, for me, the highlight of the session - even though I really liked the talks overall. It just felt good.

My ten-year-old daughter didn’t want to go to the restroom during the closing hymn, because, “I don’t want to miss the prayer” – and I hadn’t mentioned it openly today. If you knew her, you’d know how odd that is.

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 06 Apr 2013, 11:01

church0333, actually Joseph was mentioned explicitly as a serial sinner who needed to be forgiven constantly over the years. :thumbup:

How's that for different? :clap: