Would it be so bad if there was no life after death?

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
Brown

Post by Brown » 08 Feb 2013, 01:38

Sometimes I think about eternity or the afterlife and just don't know if I care about it. Maybe I'm fine just dying and staying dead, my consciousness and life just vanishing into thin air. What do I want with an eternity anyway? And with all the theories regarding what comes next, many sound scarier than nothing at all.

Anyone else ever think about this? Maybe it sounds depressing and dark, but I don't really think of it that way. An end to suffering and work and progression after a long life. Just peaceful dreamless darkness like being put out for surgery with nothing to ever worry about again.

Geez, this sounds suicidal and I promise it is not. :D

brit-exmo

Re: Would it be so bad if there was no life after death?

Post by brit-exmo » 08 Feb 2013, 04:20

I often think about it, and my feeling is that if there is no life after death that is pretty awful

I want to watch over my kids forever, and so the thought of not being aware of them, and them not being aware of me, is very hard for me.

Maybe this is one of the issues that I am happy to have the rose tinted spectacles on with.

Roadrunner

Post by Roadrunner » 08 Feb 2013, 07:27

With brit-exmo on this one.

For much of our doctrine I'm in the "I hope it's true" camp, and life after death in my mind would be a good thing. Like the OP said, there's an awful lot we don't know about that life and whether it would be happy, miserable, lonely, whatever, but the idea of all things ending at death is depressing to me.

Objectively I don't believe it will happen. In a way this a good thing because I try to make the most out of my life *now* instead of some hoped for eternal bliss.

alltruth

Post by alltruth » 08 Feb 2013, 09:50

As somebody who's spent a bit of my life being suicidally depressed (I'm bipolar), I've definitely thought about this. The idea of just ending my life to end the suffering has often been appealing, especially if there isn't life after death.

For people like me, who spend a lot of time suffering, suicide would be the rational thing to do if there is no life after death. It's just not worth it to hang on when there's no fear of judgement in an afterlife. Non-existence is a better option than painful existence, especially if the suffering isn't going to teach me anything that I can't take with me.

Not sure if that makes sense, but that's where I land. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I have a great hope that there is life after death, because this life hasn't been the greatest, and if I can't take what I've learned with me, it will all be for naught. :think:

DevilsAdvocate

Post by DevilsAdvocate » 08 Feb 2013, 11:09

Brown wrote:Sometimes I think about eternity or the afterlife and just don't know if I care about it. Maybe I'm fine just dying and staying dead, my consciousness and life just vanishing into thin air. What do I want with an eternity anyway? And with all the theories regarding what comes next, many sound scarier than nothing at all...Anyone else ever think about this? Maybe it sounds depressing and dark, but I don't really think of it that way. An end to suffering and work and progression after a long life....like being put out for surgery with nothing to ever worry about again.
Personally I've never liked the idea that this is all there is but I think it is at least worth seriously considering the possibility to keep things in perspective and put appropriate value on this life (the only life we already know we have for sure). Even when I believed wholeheartedly in the Church I often wondered whether I wouldn't rather just go to the Telestial or Terrestial Kindom simply to avoid worrying about everything the Church requires and expects plus there was always the nagging uncertainty and fears that I could try extremely hard to do everything right only to end up falling short anyway (D&C 58:26-29). One of my favorite comments I remember seeing on an ex-Mormon blog was some girl talking about how her mom was threatening her that her eternal salvation was at risk and she said something along the lines of, "Yeah right mom that sounds real fun to be around a bunch of Mormons forever."
"Truth is what works." - William James

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 08 Feb 2013, 11:26

I choose to believe in some kind of continued existence simply because I don't want to accept the alternative.

I choose to believe in the concept and principle of exaltation (eternal progression) simply because it's super cool and I want it to be true.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

johnh

Post by johnh » 08 Feb 2013, 15:34

Conceptually...I can't fathom it...living forever seems to me to lead to eventual insanity....how do you not eventually know everything?
That being said I would love for it to be true so I can converse with the great minds and know the secrets of the universe.

At other times...I think just fading away would not be terrible....I have often wondered if there was a great intergalctic food processor you could jump into if eternity became too much to bare.

eman

Post by eman » 08 Feb 2013, 20:03

johnh wrote:Conceptually...I can't fathom it...living forever seems to me to lead to eventual insanity....how do you not eventually know everything?
That being said I would love for it to be true so I can converse with the great minds and know the secrets of the universe.

At other times...I think just fading away would not be terrible....I have often wondered if there was a great intergalctic food processor you could jump into if eternity became too much to bare.
Glad I'm not the only one. The thought of eternity makes me feel a bit depressed. sure learning to be like God and creating worlds (populated with dragons of course) sounds like a hoot. But eventually you get bored of even things you love. :oops:

Oh, and the visual of a giant intergalactic food processor made me chuckle. :razz:

Posted from my Note 2 using Tapatalk 2
-
“I want the liberty of thinking and believing as I please. It feels so good not to be trammelled. It does not prove that a man is not a good man because he errs in doctrine.” (Joseph Smith, Discourse to Saints, April 1843; DHC 5:340)

mackay11

Post by mackay11 » 09 Feb 2013, 02:47

I've recently been developing a deep sadness at possibility that this might be it. To not know of the innovations of the future or the experiences of my great, great, great grand kids. The history of the world is so immense and yet we only live a glimpse of it.

But... I can't get my head around 'eternal' life. For ever. No end. I'm not sure how that can work. Given the universe is also limitless there's always room for another generation in the suburbs.

If we are endless... Why? For what purpose? It actually seems quite pointless. In some ways, being an accidental organism, a freak of biology, chemistry, physics makes a lot more sense than me needing to somehow justify and expand my existence unendingly.
Unendingly...

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 09 Feb 2013, 06:41

Humans have a great conceit of themselves. We think we are the pinnacle of evolution and yet if evolution only exists to produce DNA we are a failure. Microbes are tougher and reproduce more efficiently than we do.

Intelligence is not an evolutionary advantage.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."