What's the difference between NOM and StayLDS?

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
DevilsAdvocate

Re: What's the difference between NOM and StayLDS?

Post by DevilsAdvocate » 01 Sep 2016, 07:24

If you look at NOM now it's not really the same as it was even a few years ago. It seems like NOM has always had more militant atheist types that like to ridicule the Church and religion in general in a disrespectful way as well as people that literally hate the Church and practically everything it stands for than on StayLDS as far back as I have been reading these forums which I guess makes sense given the more lenient level of moderation at NOM and what was generally a larger number of people coming and going at NOM compared to here. However, lately it seems like NOM has reached a relative low point (or high point if you like that sort of thing) in terms of the overall negativity, cynicism, and bitterness toward the LDS Church.

Personally I think the exclusion policy, excommunications of Kate Kelly and John Dehlin, and/or conference talks seen as retrenchment basically caused many of the NOMs that were similar to people you would find at StayLDS to essentially give up on the Church and move on at least emotionally if not physically as well so some of them stopped posting as much if at all leaving behind more posters that don't seem all that different from what you will find on various ex-Mormon websites. On top of that, it seems like only about 3 of the moderators are still around at NOM and there are some technical issues because the administrators forgot to pay the bills and/or the site was hacked so no new people have joined NOM for several months. Some administrators said they were going to try to fix the issues but I'm not sure they have been fixed yet or if it is even possible to sign up for a new account there now. I would be sad if NOM were to die similar to the way FLAK did but it actually seems like a real possibility at this point in spite of some die-hard posters that have stuck around as long as they have so far.
"Truth is what works." - William James

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 10 Sep 2016, 11:34

newordermormon has been offline for a while now. I don't know what the story is. I know they've been having technical issues for several months now.

Here's info that was in one of their threads:
Thayne wrote:Two things happened.

First, the primary domain that controls NOM, was allowed to expire. This was mostly intentional as I had no desire to maintain it. The mistake was in not replacing it with another domain, which I need to do soon. Some/many of the annoying things like avatars missing and email are related to this issue.

Second, some of the sub-domains, including NOM were 'hacked', if you can call it that. Pretty tepid effort by internet standards. Or maybe they were just getting started. In any case, that was easily fixed by restoring the code from backup, and things like the footer and the admin page came back.

Still to do, work with the hosting company to fix the first issue. Update all the software to patch security holes. Evict some ancient domains. Find a new Prophet, Seer and Revelator for this place.

I'll update again when I've fixed the domain problem.

Cheers,
Thayne wrote:
Scared wrote:Thanks, Thayne! Great news!

Okay - I am curious as to who hacked the site. (Please, please, please make it a serious felony by the COB).
Sorry. Nothing interesting. Just a click farm out of Poland.
The more relevant/recent developments right before they went offline:
1) The site started running slower and slower with many page loads timing out.
2) There were no new users since June but one of the admins manually activated many pending accounts a few days before they went offline. I doubt that had anything to do with the site going offline but the site had just gotten to a place where new people could join again and *poof* offline.

I hate to see the site disappear and I hope things get resolved. It would be a shame to lose a color from the Mormon spectrum.
None of the things one frets about ever happen. Something one's never thought of does.
― Connie Willis , Doomsday Book

Sheldon

Post by Sheldon » 12 Sep 2016, 17:37

So the difference now is StayLDS is online, and NOM is not!

dtrom34

Post by dtrom34 » 12 Sep 2016, 18:48

Sheldon wrote:So the difference now is StayLDS is online, and NOM is not!
I laughed out loud at this, but then I got a little disheartened. I enjoy that site when I'm in the right mood.

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 15 Sep 2016, 01:10

What happened?
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

LookingHard

Post by LookingHard » 15 Sep 2016, 04:29

When I checked the other day, the NOM site was down (they didn't pay or the domain registration). Not sure if that what is being said.

SunbeltRed

Post by SunbeltRed » 15 Sep 2016, 05:13

I'm bummed the NOM site is down, been missing it this week.

Ann

Post by Ann » 15 Sep 2016, 09:59

SunbeltRed wrote:I'm bummed the NOM site is down, been missing it this week.
nibbler wrote: I hate to see the site disappear and I hope things get resolved. It would be a shame to lose a color from the Mormon spectrum.
I agree, although I have to say that the comment in your quote above ("Please, please...felony by the COB) is an example of why I don't feel comfortable there. But when certain people chime in, there's real food for thought. And a recurrent theme there - a sad one - is how trapped people feel because of their families. Our all or nothing/in or out culture is making family life hard for a LOT of people.
"Preachers err by trying to talk people into belief; better they reveal the radiance of their own discovery." - Joseph Campbell

"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Marcel Proust

"Therefore they said unto him, How were thine eyes opened? He answered and said unto them, A man that is called Jesus made clay, and anointed my eyes...." - John 9:10-11