What's the difference between NOM and StayLDS?

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
kupord maizzed

Re: What's the difference between NOM and StayLDS?

Post by kupord maizzed » 15 Dec 2008, 16:40

hawkgrrrl wrote: No need to choose just one! Go to NOM to vent, and bring what fits better here, here. And there's some room for venting here, too.
I guess I am an extreme of both sites :-D :-D :-D As a big prude I don't feel comfortable with the avatars and language at NOM, and I was looking for another web alternative-LDS home. But I am unreservedly a non-believer in the Great Apostasy and the idea the LDS Church is a light in darkness to all people in all lands. It almost makes me a non-fit at both places. Too prudish for NOM and too wacko for StayLDS.

Actually I think StayLDS is good for me if you don't mind my wacky anti-LDS LDS-ness rubbin off on you all. I'm just a long ways from perfection. Heaven isn't finished with me yet.

KM

Nonny

Post by Nonny » 16 Dec 2008, 16:48

Thank you Valoel, for making this question available for discussion.
I always try to look at questions from several different angles, rather than accept opinions at face value. This is the reason I want to keep a presence in each forum. NOM gives me support and validation for choosing to NOT believe, to doubt, to question. I think StayLDS will give me support for finding a different WAY to believe. That is the point I am at in my journey. Some days I want to leave the church and never return, but there is a tiny spark in my soul that says, maybe there is another way. At this moment I am choosing to blow on that spark and see if it ignites something.

katielangston

Post by katielangston » 16 Dec 2008, 23:48

Soooo...not to be totally lame, but what is NOM?

Brian Johnston
Site Admin

Post by Brian Johnston » 17 Dec 2008, 08:32

NOM = New Order Mormon

It is another website and forum in the world of internet Mormon discussion. They have been around for several years.

http://www.newordermormon.org/

Forums:
http://forum.newordermormon.org/index.php
"It's strange to be here. The mystery never leaves you alone." -John O'Donohue, Anam Cara, speaking of experiencing life.

kupord maizzed

Post by kupord maizzed » 17 Dec 2008, 14:24

katielangston wrote:Soooo...not to be totally lame, but what is NOM?
NOM says, "I'm LDS affiliated, but things just ain't the same anymore."

StayLDS says, "Things just ain't the same anymore, but I will stay LDS."

It's a fine distinction.

Godzilla Gaijin

Post by Godzilla Gaijin » 03 Jan 2009, 02:52

Valoel wrote:NOM = people who want/need to stay positively engaged with the Church, but don’t believe anymore.

StayLDS = people who lost faith, but want to believe again in the LDS Church
This is a nice taxonomy, but I would simply it even further for the StayLDS-ite.

Desire to believe = desire to belong

For many of us, this is where the seed of our belief takes root anyway. Alma 32, and "giving place" for the seed talks about desire being where to plant the seed. Three year olds learn to articulate and equate "I love my mommy and daddy... I know the church is twoo..."

I find the best way to beat down the jaded NOM in me whenever I hear somebody start to say "I KNOW that X is..." in church, is to subsitute "I love the sense of belonging that X gives me."

Monkey

Post by Monkey » 03 Jan 2009, 09:28

Godzilla Gaijin said, "I find the best way to beat down the jaded NOM in me whenever I hear somebody start to say "I KNOW that X is..." in church, is to subsitute "I love the sense of belonging that X gives me."

That reminds me of the first time I read a book by Mr. Rogers of Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood. He said that instead of hearing "No" when a 2 yr old says "No" just hear " I am an individual" That made a huge difference in my raising my kids. Thank you for sharing this view. Perhaps it will make a difference in my life.

greenapples

Post by greenapples » 12 Sep 2012, 00:24

I had a rather large post dedicated to post # 69 ( Billy madison: 69 ahh aha ha ha ha ha ha)

However I guess I took too long so when I hit post I was apparently logged out and now it is all gone. I guess I should make it a habit of highlighting everything and copying it just before I hit the submit button.

I guess this is my shortened less passionate version of my lost post.

I started out as redcrown27 on NOM. Based on my post I feel some of the citizens of the NOM city didn't feel that I was ready to dwell among the Nomites. They suggested that I go to StayLDS

I signed up as greenapples and began posting here.

Once I became comfortable with the fact that I know that I don't know I felt okay with NOM. I am not at all offended by the bluntness of NOM.

There may be some people on the NOM site that have not gone to church for a long while but I don't feel that it is an EX Mormon site though.

Most EX Mormon sites seem to just be a place for people to vent about how much they hated being in the church and how glad they are to be out. Once they vented enough they log out of the site and don't come back.

NOM is a place where non believing Mormons can openly discuss their lack of belief.

Staylds feels more like a formal dinner.

NOM feels like a backyard BBQ or a beach party.

I feel people could mingle back and forth no problem if they were in Fowler Stage 4 or above. I feel like a stage 3 who is just breaking into stage 4 would not feel comfortable. Most people on this site would probably feel rather comfortable at NOM.

You just have to dress differently (In your mind) when you go to the site. :mrgreen:
GREENAPPLES IS REDCROWN27

Forgotten_Charity

Post by Forgotten_Charity » 12 Sep 2012, 04:47

The differnce to me was the general attitude and positive as well as critical thinking versus just mostly venting. Much
Ike a job, do you focus on the negative, positive or both? Do you help your coworkers with their job to help manage their stress or do you just complain along with them? The differnce is attitude. One that I love as I see it as unhealthy to dwell in negativity but see the good and the bad and possibly ideas about how to turn the bad into good.

Bruce in Montana

Post by Bruce in Montana » 12 Sep 2012, 06:47

Gosh....

I just want to know the truth. And the truth is not relative. God is, or he isn't.

If my search leads me closer to the corporate church or mormonism in general...great.....if it becomes apparent that things are false....great.

What I'm not interested in is apologies, cover-ups, and ignoring facts......life is too short for me to spend it with my head in the sand.

Frankly, I really haven't found a site that is dedicated to that end. It seems everyone has an agenda other than simple truth.
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
-William S.