My New Calling: Sunday School Lesson Recaps

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

My New Calling: Sunday School Lesson Recaps

Post by Curt Sunshine » 05 Aug 2012, 12:53

I was asked today to teach the oldest youth Sunday School class. Our ward is fairly small, so that class is the 14-17-year-olds. I accepted in a heartbeat, since I love teaching that age group.

What I wanted to share is what my Bishop said as we talked about the youth:

1) "They need to have their conventional wisdom challenged." Those were his exact words.

2) They need someone who can take them deeper than where they already are after years growing up in the Church and hearing the same principles taught multiple times. This needs to be like the Gospel Doctrine class for them.

3) There's a difference between flying a plane and being a pilot. Primary teaches our kids how to fly a plane by following instructions; our youth need to learn to be pilots before they leave home.

4) He had considered me for a different calling in the ward, but he couldn't shake the feeling that I need to be teaching the youth right now.

5) I am going to be set apart at the beginning of the Sunday School class, so the youth get to be part of the process. Honestly, I have never considered that possibility, and I am grateful he taught me in this unique way something I preach regularly - that custom doesn't have to rule the day when it makes more sense to do something differently.

My Bishop is orthodox, TBM in pretty much every visible way. He's a good man, and he tries very hard to be guided by the Spirit.

I think he's the rule, not the exception, in the Church - and I am looking forward with excitement to next week, when I start this calling.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

afterall

Re: My New Calling

Post by afterall » 05 Aug 2012, 13:13

This sounds great Curt! I really like that part about being set apart in front of the students....that is a fantastic idea! It engages everyone in the process.

wayfarer

Post by wayfarer » 05 Aug 2012, 14:07

The bishop wants their conventional wisdom challenged up to but not including the point where the first parent complains to the bishop. Be careful.

I am sure you'll be fantastic!
Last edited by wayfarer on 05 Aug 2012, 15:41, edited 1 time in total.
"Those who speak don't know, those who know don't speak." Lao Tzu.
My seat in the bloggernacle: http://wayfaringfool.blogspot.com

turinturambar

Post by turinturambar » 05 Aug 2012, 14:36

Wow! What a great age group. I remember my days teaching high school very fondly. My favorite thing about it was the kids. My dad also teaches sunday school to this age and he loves it. I'm sure it will be a great experience.
And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.

(New Testament | 1 Corinthians 13:2‎)‎

Minyan Man

Post by Minyan Man » 05 Aug 2012, 15:19

Curt, I'm happy if you're happy. It takes a special person to teach the youth. I'm glad it's not me.
From the little I know you, I'm sure you're going to be great at this.

Mike from Milton.

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 05 Aug 2012, 18:03

Thank you, everyone.
The bishop wants their conventional wisdom challenged up to but not including the point where the first parent complains to the bishop.

No, actually, he doesn't. We talked about that. I'd call you to repentance for that cynicism, but I understand it. Instead, I'll just tell a very respected friend to take an extra happy pill today. :P
Be careful.

No. :smile:

He called me; he gets me.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

cwald

Post by cwald » 05 Aug 2012, 18:59

good luck...and do well.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
  Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn't participate enthusiastically. - Robert Kirby

Forgotten_Charity

Post by Forgotten_Charity » 05 Aug 2012, 19:14

Curt Sunshine wrote:
Be careful.

No. :smile:

He called me; he gets me.
Good luck, Curt. The calling seems well suited to you. If we are to give of ourselves 100% then the only way to do that is be ourselves. :smile:
I know you have certainly challenged some of my views from a faithful perspective so it may be just what you can do here as well.

Kumahito

Post by Kumahito » 05 Aug 2012, 21:14

What a great calling. I love teaching, and that's the best age group to teach. They've got inquisitive minds, usually haven't been around long enough to be too jaded, and yet don't take Church too seriously yet. Good luck!
"An idea that is not dangerous is unworthy of being called an idea at all."
- Oscar Wilde

Cnsl1

Post by Cnsl1 » 06 Aug 2012, 00:52

Congrats on receiving what I think is one of the best callings in this church. I've taught that age youth in two different wards for a number of years and it was hands down my favorite calling for some of the reasons that excites you about the new job. I'm in the primary now and that can get quite boring.

I have considered turning down every other calling until that's the only one I will willingly do. I probably won't actually do that, but I have considered it. I'm not a person who will "never turn down a calling" because I've seen how some callings are given little forethought and consideration, and how we have almost a fanatical insistence that everyone in the ward has a job at any given moment, even those who are "less active". So turning down jobs I would suck at has been in my repertoire for years. Maybe I can turn down ones until I get one that I'm pretty sure I'd do pretty well at? heh