Will the negatives end?

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
jmb275

Re: Will the negatives end?

Post by jmb275 » 29 May 2009, 21:03

Valoel wrote:I think a lot of people go through a process, often for years and years, of what I call "connecting the dots." This happens on both the faithful "tbm" side and also on the disaffected side. It is a tiresome intellectual excercise where we try to make sense of everything, where we try to find the connections. We try to figure out the "real truth" and be certain. We think we can connect all the dots in the right order, and then it will all make sense. Everything will relate right to everything else. There will be a cause and effect. We'll figure out how it all really happened.

People that continue down this road eventually wear themselves out. I did that. There isn't a single solution. My resolution was a decision and acceptance that there is no solution to the puzzle. I have stronger faith in the purpose of learning and growing, but I no longer believe that (or depend on) ever being certain I have it all right. I have hope that I am going in the right direction. That is my faith in God. I say "lead me where you want me to go, and I will go." So life to me now is an experience, and not a final exam.

I feel a lot happier and closer to God after letting go of the "connect the dots" game I was playing.
Brilliantly put Valoel. I agree 100%. I have become comfortable with not being able to figure it all out. I am happy to just live my life in the best way I know how and let the pieces fall where they may.
I am like a huge, rough stone rolling down from a high mountain; and the only polishing I get is when some corner gets rubbed off by coming in contact with something else, striking with accelerated force against religious bigotry, priestcraft, lawyer-craft, doctor-craft, lying editors, suborned judges and jurors, and the authority of perjured executives, backed by mobs, blasphemers, licentious and corrupt men and women--all hell knocking off a corner here and a corner there.
- Joseph Smith, (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, 304)