New browser here? Have you become “disillusioned”?

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
asha

Re: New browser here? Have you become “disillusioned”?

Post by asha » 24 Apr 2009, 14:47

Ray Degraw wrote: I really do LOVE the actual output.
This sounds so healthy and positive... I hope I can get there one day.

Tom Haws

Post by Tom Haws » 24 Apr 2009, 15:09

I'm not sure it's all lovable, but it's great that his view is filled with the parts he loves. :-)
Tom (aka Justin Martyr/Justin Morning/Jacob Marley/Kupord Maizzed)
Higley and Guadalupe
Gilbert, Arizona
----
Sure, any religion would do. But I'm LDS.
"There are no academic issues. Everything is emotional to somebody." Ray Degraw at www.StayLDS.com

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 24 Apr 2009, 15:36

That's a great way to put it, Tom - and I chose that outlook intentionally and consciously.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Gabe P

Post by Gabe P » 24 Apr 2009, 18:32

I like this, and the essay that you refer to was enormously helpful to me when I was at a real low point a couple of weeks ago. I guess lately I have been asking myself the question, "Is it really all worth it?". My Sundays have been a nightmare for years now, as I usually have to go with my five kids alone and wrestle with them alone throughout SM (the three younger ones are a real handfull). My husband is usually on call for the hospital he works at twice a month, so his only free Sundays are taken up by his calling on the Stake High Council - in other words he is rarely (never!) at church with me. I teach every Sunday, and am responsible for at least two Wednesday night activities a month, and visit teach four sisters every month. Believe it or not, I was even busier when I was in Primary. It is not really an option to not have a calling here, as many people have two or three. Due to my husband's career, we have very little time together as a family because the church takes up all of his free time, even on Saturdays and Sundays. Now I am facing the prospect of my eldest daughter starting early-morning seminary in September which means I will have to drive her to the stake centre every morning Monday to Friday for 6:30am. :evil:

I can certainly now see the importance of having a testimony from a purely practical standpoint: why go to to so much time and effort, often at the expense of your family's time, unless you know that it is all "true"?

Maybe I am just tired.
Asha, I do not envy you. I think you're showing a remarkable strength and I hope those in your life can perceive the same. I think your understanding of the practical importance of a testimony is dead on. The only way I can be a buffet Mormon as I now am is if my investment in the institution is relatively limited. I'll help people move, I'll teach a class or two, I'll offer my skills (to the extent they're present), but I cannot be like your husband precisely because I'm just not completely sold. I just couldn't give up all of my other interests in order to be a stake president, mission president, or any other "power calling" because I would be doing some things I don't believe in and would spend a lot of time affirming principles in which I do not believe. In your situation, I'm simply not sure what I would do: you've got a family that sort of depends on a heavy church investment, you've got a ward where it's tough to hide.........it is not easy.