Good luck to all today

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
Gabe P

Good luck to all today

Post by Gabe P » 06 Apr 2009, 13:36

I wish everyone could win on Opening Day, but the league always goes .500. Best of luck and best wishes for a healthy and happy 2009.

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Re: Good luck to all today

Post by Curt Sunshine » 06 Apr 2009, 14:00

Gabe, I'll care a lot more when we finally get a pro team back in Cincinnati. :D Otoh, one of my "foster sons" who bleeds Reds' red and is on cloud nine today agrees with you - as long as the Reds win and the lower half of the .500 divide is comprised of other teams.

As a former high school baseball coach, I wish more than anything else that the fundamentals didn't get lost so much in the big leagues, that steroid use would disappear completely and that the designated hitter would get buried deeply and permanently.

Oh, and while we are talking sports - a HUGE shout out to John Stockton and Jerry Sloan, who did (and continue to do) it the right way. Sloan should have won multiple Coach of the Year awards in his career, and it is wonderful to see him go into the Hall of Fame at the same time as Stockton. If Malone hadn't been such a butthead and tried to win a championship with the Lakers at the end, this would have been perfect - but I'll take Stockton and Sloan entering the Hall of Fame together any day. My official hat tip to two classy men - the epitome of ultimate professionalism.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Gabe P

Re: Good luck to all today

Post by Gabe P » 06 Apr 2009, 14:23

Yes, Sloan is a fine coach. The only problem I have with him is that I think he coaches his defense to foul too much. They give up too many points on the free throw line and that just kills you against teams like New Orleans and LA. But gosh, that's awful nitpicky on the eve of a guy's election to the Hall of Fame. Congratulations indeed.