Elder Pearson's Talk

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
trill

Elder Pearson's Talk

Post by trill » 04 Apr 2009, 19:19

I watched the Saturday Afternoon session today. There were some talks that I enjoyed, such as Nelson's talk on prayer. Others, I didn't like some of the overtones, but still really appreciated the core message (Ballard's talk on integrating history and the wisdom of elder's into daily life.) The only talk that really got me agitated was Elder Pearson's talk. I felt as if questioning church teachings was being set up as a "no-go," which I am not at all comfortable with. That being said, I felt like I was reacting more to my own concerns about the church than his talk, necessarily. I plan to read through his talk, once it's published. In the meantime, what were your reactions to this talk? I would like to hear from anyone who also had trouble with this talk. However, I would especially like to hear from anyone who was especially uplifted by this talk. I am hoping that when I reapproach this talk, I will find it less threatening.
"...I valued what was good... but I believed in the existence of other and more vivid kinds of goodness, and what I believed in I wished to behold." -Charlotte Brontë, Jane Eyre

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Re: Elder Pearson's Talk

Post by Curt Sunshine » 04 Apr 2009, 20:38

Honestly, I liked the general point of the Six Destructive D's - but the talk was hard to follow. It was almost like he tried too hard to be creative and pack a lot into a short talk, and it just was too much of a verbal assault with too little time to try to figure out all of the things he was saying. I think it will be much better in print, when I can read it more slowly and think about it as I read.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

hawkgrrrl
Site Admin

Re: Elder Pearson's Talk

Post by hawkgrrrl » 05 Apr 2009, 09:38

Not a favorite of mine either. I loved Cook's talk, though!