General Conference

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

General Conference

Post by Curt Sunshine » 04 Apr 2009, 13:55

“We shouldn’t judge (should be loving and kind to) members of our own faith regardless of their levels of activity.” (Elder Cook)

I just want to say how wonderful that was to hear.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

hawkgrrrl
Site Admin

Re: General Conference

Post by hawkgrrrl » 04 Apr 2009, 14:28

I really enjoyed all of E. Cook's talk. There were many that seemed very connected to a lot of the b'nacle and NOM discussions in a "he that hath ears to hear, let him hear" way.

Orson
Site Admin

Post by Orson » 04 Apr 2009, 16:47

Ditto. I mentioned to my wife that I enjoyed Elder Cook's talk. I wonder what will turn up tomorrow?
My avatar - both physical and spiritual.

I first found faith, and thought I had all truth. I then discovered doubt, and claimed a more accurate truth. Now I’ve greeted paradox and a deeper truth than I have ever known.

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 05 Apr 2009, 09:18

There are "truths we cannot even begin to comprehend." (Pres. Uchtdorf)
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 05 Apr 2009, 09:21

and now Pres. Uchtdorf is talking about a friend who is struggling with his testimony. "We have to stay with it. We do not acquire eternal life in a sprint. We need to stay with it."

"Discipleship is not a spectator sport."

"He loves us, even with all our flaws."

"Those who have left discipleship . . . start where you are . . . it is never too late."

"The Lord, the Church, we need your specific talents . . . and you."

I love this man!

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 05 Apr 2009, 09:32

"I know that I am not what I must become." (Elder Anderson)

It's cool that he asked for forgiveness at the beginning of his talk.

"We are not alone in (every good thing we do)." "There is much we can learn from good people all around us." "Should not bring feelings of arrogance or superiority." - I LOVE this part of his talk.

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 05 Apr 2009, 09:53

"I looked. I spit. I took off my hat. I scratched my head. I thought. I said, "Alright."

I really like that example.

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 05 Apr 2009, 10:07

"All of us are poor in some way and will need the hep of others." (Sister Thompson)

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 05 Apr 2009, 10:26

To those who feel lost or abandoned (Elder Holland):

"I looked, and there was none to help . . . none to uphold me."

"We are not the ones to judge Judas' fate."

"We don't know all that was going on here, or of protective counsel that Jesus might have given privately." - I love how Elder Holland has said more than once, "We don't know . . ."

"It is my personal belief . . ."

"He had to experience spiritual death, as well - to feel totally, abjectly, completely alone." - This is a powerful talk!

"Because Jesus walked such a long, solitary path alone, we do not have to do so."

"I will not leave you comfortless."

"May he never walk alone again, because we are active disciples." - What a great way to frame that.

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 05 Apr 2009, 10:53

President Monson:

"Those who struggled but remained steadfast."

“If we allow ourselves to dwell only on that which is wrong”

"We are not left alone, no matter how dark our pathway."

I had the thought that I need to stop complaining about the trials in my own life.