Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
Tom Haws

Post by Tom Haws » 03 Apr 2009, 13:09

Valoel,

Where can I read more about your avatar?
Tom (aka Justin Martyr/Justin Morning/Jacob Marley/Kupord Maizzed)
Higley and Guadalupe
Gilbert, Arizona
----
Sure, any religion would do. But I'm LDS.
"There are no academic issues. Everything is emotional to somebody." Ray Degraw at www.StayLDS.com

HiJolly

Post by HiJolly » 04 Apr 2009, 20:59

Look up the Flammarion Woodcut.

HiJolly
Men are not moved by events but by their interpretations.
-- The Stoic Epictetus

Brian Johnston
Site Admin

Post by Brian Johnston » 06 Apr 2009, 07:27

HiJolly got it right. That is the name of the picture. I chose it as my online mormonism avatar for all the reasons one can take from the history and meaning of this piece of artwork. That picture paints a thousand words to me. I feel like the missionary in the picture.

Link to a larger image:
http://www.easypedia.gr/el/images/share ... marion.jpg

The caption at the bottom can be translated "A missionary of the Middle Ages tells that he had found the point where the sky and the Earth touched..."

The name "Valoel" also has meaning. It is the name of a mythical archangel that represent and governs over certain universal principles. I wanted to be associated with that meaning.

"DOMINION: Valoel presides over peace, while filling our minds with tranquility, serenity and happiness. Valoel inspires cooperation and calmness when we have conflicts within our hearts. Valoel is considered to be an Archangel as he brings us inner peace and balance."

I'm not being so arrogant as to think I am that archangel. I just like what the name represents, and use the name to focus my own feeble efforts to influence the world around me. It is a nice ideal to strive for.
"It's strange to be here. The mystery never leaves you alone." -John O'Donohue, Anam Cara, speaking of experiencing life.