Mother's Day Report

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
User avatar
Tom Haws
Posts: 1245
Joined: 13 Jan 2009, 06:57
Location: Gilbert, Arizona, USA
Contact:

Re: Mother's Day Report

Post by Tom Haws » 08 May 2011, 20:13

So, did you like singing the song? I assume you must like the songs if you keep singing.
Tom (aka Justin Martyr/Justin Morning/Jacob Marley/Kupord Maizzed)
Higley and Guadalupe
Gilbert, Arizona
----
Sure, any religion would do. But I'm LDS.
"There are no academic issues. Everything is emotional to somebody." Ray Degraw at www.StayLDS.com

MesaMom
Posts: 5
Joined: 06 May 2011, 08:15

Re: Mother's Day Report

Post by MesaMom » 08 May 2011, 20:29

our Bishop stepped over to the table, knelt next to him, put his arm around him and coached him through the prayer phrase-by-phrase - in such a way that nobody was aware of it until the prayer had ended and we saw him stand up and walk back to his seat.
Many years ago, my mother-in-law made a comment about how she disliked mothers day. I was shocked to hear her say that. However, over the years I have grown to feel the same. I often come home from those Sundays feeling inadequate compared to all the accolades for other amazing women.

Today was very different for me. Because we have so many missionaries coming home and leaving all at the same time they asked my daughter to give her farewell talk today. She spoke about how she has applied the atonement in her life and did a wonderful job expressing her gratitude and love for the Savior. I mention this because so often I have read comments about how little the Savior is mentioned.

I also enjoyed the concluding speaker, he too mentioned the savior and instead of giving grand and marvelous examples of motherhood, he shared how simple things his mother had done helped him recognize her love for him. He also opened his talk by staring a comment the sealer said at his wedding. I don't know if I can get this right but it was something about how important Eve was and It would be erroneous to think she was simple left as an after thought. Instead God beautified and prepared the earth making it ready in honor of her. I hope I make sense, writing is not my favorite thing to do. I do love reading everyone else comments.

User avatar
HiJolly
Posts: 471
Joined: 11 Feb 2009, 21:25

Re: Mother's Day Report

Post by HiJolly » 08 May 2011, 20:49

Tom Haws wrote:So, did you like singing the song? I assume you must like the songs if you keep singing.
I liked it ok. The music itself was pretty good.

And if my wife were not so self-conscious of her failings and imperfections, then I probably would like the song more, as I really do appreciate the sentiments of the song, for my own part. But I have great sympathy for my wife's position of feeling like she does not measure up, and so in having compassion for her feelings, I would prefer, personally, foregoing that particular song.

But I belong to a large group of singers, and we all have to make accommodations for each others likes and dislikes, or nothing would get sung at all. Mostly. So I'm ok with that. It's not all about me & what I like or dislike. I wait a few minutes, and we're usually on to something I like.


HiJolly
Men are not moved by events but by their interpretations.
-- The Stoic Epictetus

User avatar
HiJolly
Posts: 471
Joined: 11 Feb 2009, 21:25

Re: Mother's Day Report

Post by HiJolly » 08 May 2011, 20:51

MesaMom, you should read this! http://www.fairlds.org/FAIR_Conferences ... Trees.html

(hey, I grew up in Mesa! Woot!)


HiJolly
Men are not moved by events but by their interpretations.
-- The Stoic Epictetus

User avatar
Fatherof4husbandof1
Posts: 175
Joined: 13 Dec 2010, 20:58

Re: Mother's Day Report

Post by Fatherof4husbandof1 » 09 May 2011, 07:38

Ray Degraw... posted this link re: cwalds post
the pic speaks for itself......"I can fly around this church with my eyes closed!"

http://awkwardfamilyphotos.com/2010/12/ ... bambini-3/
to infinity...and beyond!!!!!

MesaMom
Posts: 5
Joined: 06 May 2011, 08:15

Re: Mother's Day Report

Post by MesaMom » 09 May 2011, 10:02

HiJolly, Thanks for the recommendation.

I enjoyed reading the article. I loved the symbolism and analogy of birth and partaking of the first tree. That was new to me.

A while back our gospel doctrine teacher, who was also our former Bishop and a retired institute teacher, taught a lesson on "the Fall". His lesson helped me to see the topic on a whole new level. Before his lesson, I always felt confused by why God would give them(Adam and Eve) a commandment and then expect them to break the commandment. I never truly got a satisfactory answer to that question.

However, in his lesson he taught that when God said they should not eat of the fruit it was not a commandment but a statement of fact that eating of the fruit will bring a consequence not a punishment. " 16 And the Lord God commanded the man, saying, Of every tree of the garden thou mayest freely eat:
17 But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die."

In verse 16 he explains that eating of the fruit of all the other trees they can do free of consequence, but that the consequence of eating the fruit of the tree of knowledge will be mortality. Which I felt fit with the doctrine we have always heard that Eve knew she must partake that "Man Might Be".

If you had not already heard of that approach to the fall I thought you might find it interesting.

User avatar
HiJolly
Posts: 471
Joined: 11 Feb 2009, 21:25

Re: Mother's Day Report

Post by HiJolly » 09 May 2011, 13:35

MesaMom wrote:HiJolly, Thanks for the recommendation.

I enjoyed reading the article. I loved the symbolism and analogy of birth and partaking of the first tree. That was new to me.

A while back our gospel doctrine teacher, who was also our former Bishop and a retired institute teacher, taught a lesson on "the Fall". His lesson helped me to see the topic on a whole new level. Before his lesson, I always felt confused by why God would give them(Adam and Eve) a commandment and then expect them to break the commandment. I never truly got a satisfactory answer to that question.

However, in his lesson he taught that when God said they should not eat of the fruit it was not a commandment but a statement of fact that eating of the fruit will bring a consequence not a punishment. " 16 And the Lord God commanded the man, saying, Of every tree of the garden thou mayest freely eat:
17 But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die."

In verse 16 he explains that eating of the fruit of all the other trees they can do free of consequence, but that the consequence of eating the fruit of the tree of knowledge will be mortality. Which I felt fit with the doctrine we have always heard that Eve knew she must partake that "Man Might Be".

If you had not already heard of that approach to the fall I thought you might find it interesting.
Yes, I like that approach - and while I had some feelings that match this, I had not thought it out. Very good.


HiJolly
Men are not moved by events but by their interpretations.
-- The Stoic Epictetus

User avatar
Tom Haws
Posts: 1245
Joined: 13 Jan 2009, 06:57
Location: Gilbert, Arizona, USA
Contact:

Re: Mother's Day Report

Post by Tom Haws » 09 May 2011, 13:58

Kalola wrote:
cwald wrote:The lady who spoke, talked a lot about how it's a sin to throw your baby up in the air because it "dislodges" their brains and makes them "retarded." No I am not joking. I enjoyed it all personally - very entertaining. .
As the mother of a son who has autism and moderate mental retardation, I find this extremely sad. :(
*hugs*
Tom (aka Justin Martyr/Justin Morning/Jacob Marley/Kupord Maizzed)
Higley and Guadalupe
Gilbert, Arizona
----
Sure, any religion would do. But I'm LDS.
"There are no academic issues. Everything is emotional to somebody." Ray Degraw at www.StayLDS.com

User avatar
cwald
Posts: 3628
Joined: 10 Aug 2015, 06:39

Re: Mother's Day Report

Post by cwald » 09 May 2011, 14:01

Kalola wrote:
cwald wrote:The lady who spoke, talked a lot about how it's a sin to throw your baby up in the air because it "dislodges" their brains and makes them "retarded." No I am not joking. I enjoyed it all personally - very entertaining. .
As the mother of a son who has autism and moderate mental retardation, I find this extremely sad. :(
I did not mean to offend. Just stating what I heard. jwald said that I vocally snorted and laughed when she said this. I didn't laugh about it being funny though - I laughed at it because it was so inappropriate, being said over the podium during SM.
  Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn't participate enthusiastically. - Robert Kirby

Post Reply