Went to Church for the first time in 10 years

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
Rodh

Went to Church for the first time in 10 years

Post by Rodh » 30 Mar 2009, 09:50

We went to Church, the roof didn't cave in, no earthquakes. I was kind of expecting a congregation of missionary clones led by a bishop who didn't belive in what he was doing, due to some of the stuff out here on the boards. What a pleasant suprise our ward seems to be, multi racial, people wearing casual clothing, facial hair, long hair as well as the stereotypical Mormon and a Bishop that seems to be led by the Spirit. Some Samoans made us feel right at home with a big hearty Talofa and we even have some sailors in the ward.

Listening to some of the testimonies as well as our SS lesson I felt anger at the thought that some would want to tear these beautiful people down and I truly believe the words of Jesus Christ when he said:

3 Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
4 Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted.
5 Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth.
6 Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.
7 Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy.
8 Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God.
9 Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.

I feel blessed because these are they that I found in my new ward and I just want to kick the snot out of anybody that wants to hurt them.

Rod

Brian Johnston
Site Admin

Re: Went to Church for the first time in 10 years

Post by Brian Johnston » 30 Mar 2009, 10:35

Cool. Thanks for sharing your experience Rod. Every ward and congregation is so different. I really like my current ward too. People here are REALLY down to earth, and we are pretty diverse too (in many ways). Seriously. They inspire me all the time. Sure, I don't agree with everything said by every person. That's ok. You know what? Each person is beautiful, and they are in their own place and time with their religious view. Like you said, it isn't up to me or anyone else to tear that down. God can choose that, and He/She/They indeed call us one at a time to be torn down in our life. It's His call, not mine or anyone else.

People in my ward are friendly and accepting. Both Bishops since I have been here are loving, mature and wise leaders doing the best they can. They have been great examples.
"It's strange to be here. The mystery never leaves you alone." -John O'Donohue, Anam Cara, speaking of experiencing life.

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 30 Mar 2009, 11:37

Rod, this brought tears to my eyes. Thanks.

The LDS Church works SO well when it works the way it's supposed to work. God bless the wonderful people in your ward.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Tom Haws

Post by Tom Haws » 30 Mar 2009, 11:47

This is so wonderful, Rodh. My ward is like this in many ways, so maybe we are all growing (reminds me of the closing lines of the beautiful classic movie "Our Vines Have Tender Grapes")
Tom (aka Justin Martyr/Justin Morning/Jacob Marley/Kupord Maizzed)
Higley and Guadalupe
Gilbert, Arizona
----
Sure, any religion would do. But I'm LDS.
"There are no academic issues. Everything is emotional to somebody." Ray Degraw at www.StayLDS.com

seedtender

Post by seedtender » 05 May 2009, 17:12

I'm unfortunate in that I live in a Ward boundary with a great deal of wealth, no diversity, and a highly judgmental lot.
I have had the opportunity to be in some good Wards, though.
Valoel wrote:Cool. Thanks for sharing your experience Rod. Every ward and congregation is so different. I really like my current ward too. People here are REALLY down to earth, and we are pretty diverse too (in many ways). Seriously. They inspire me all the time. Sure, I don't agree with everything said by every person. That's ok. You know what? Each person is beautiful, and they are in their own place and time with their religious view. Like you said, it isn't up to me or anyone else to tear that down. God can choose that, and He/She/They indeed call us one at a time to be torn down in our life. It's His call, not mine or anyone else.

People in my ward are friendly and accepting. Both Bishops since I have been here are loving, mature and wise leaders doing the best they can. They have been great examples.