Deseret Industries

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
Kalola

Deseret Industries

Post by Kalola » 29 Mar 2011, 12:55

Just wanted to share something uplifting. DH and I first met Brother Brock when he was serving his mission in Queens, NY. We are so proud of him. :clap:

http://lds.org/church/news/di-partners- ... anny+Brock

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Re: Deseret Industries

Post by Curt Sunshine » 29 Mar 2011, 14:50

Thanks for sharing that, Kalola. It was inspring to read.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Heber13
Site Admin

Post by Heber13 » 30 Mar 2011, 10:28

Thanks for sharing.
“Employment and work makes it so we can not only pay bills, but also so we can meet our other obligations—like tithing—and we can help others,” Brother Brock said. “When you don’t feel like you’re doing good, it can really throw you for a loop. Work is one of the best ways to stay out of trouble, and you sleep better at night because you feel like you’ve contributed and accomplished something.”
I think this is true. At times, the church can look at people who become less active and preach to them to strengthen faith...which really leads to just more guilt of why they can't do better.

When if reality, there are deeper root causes leading to inactivity (see thread on Toothaches and Church-aches) which can be overlooked.
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

cwald

Post by cwald » 30 Mar 2011, 11:38

Kalola wrote:J DH and I first met Brother Brock when he was serving his mission in Queens, NY.
off topic, but I served a mission in the NY NY mission in 1989-91. I spent a couple of months in Rego Park, and had a good friend named Herman Orellana who was BP in Queens for awhile. Any chance we have crossed paths?
  Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn't participate enthusiastically. - Robert Kirby

Kalola

Post by Kalola » 30 Mar 2011, 12:47

cwald wrote:
Kalola wrote:J DH and I first met Brother Brock when he was serving his mission in Queens, NY.
off topic, but I served a mission in the NY NY mission in 1989-91. I spent a couple of months in Rego Park, and had a good friend named Herman Orellana who was BP in Queens for awhile. Any chance we have crossed paths?
We didn't cross paths since DH and I moved from Queens to SLC in 1978. We lived in SLC from 1978-1982. We're now in the SF Bay Area.

We were quite active in the Rego Park Ward from 1972 to 1978. We have very fond memories.