Where are all the women?

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
cwald

Where are all the women?

Post by cwald » 26 Feb 2011, 16:34

One thing I have noticed about StayLDS, is that this board is dominated by the males. Sure we have a few regulars that post here like Flower, CG and BN - but for the most part it is a hangout for the boys.

Why?

Even jwald, who lurks here, seldom contributes. Are we that scary?

I'm just wondering why this is the case? Here are some possible, and yes, sexists and perhaps insulting, reasons that have crossed my mind. Any of these ring true?

-EDIT --- I erased my suggestions. It would have just got me in trouble. :( I will just leave it an open ended question.-

IMO, I think one thing that is really lacking from this forum is a consistent female contingency to balance the discussion and to express opinions from the other alien race. (I always perked up when Flower CG, and BN respond to a thread, because their responses were coming from such a different perspective and angle than I have - even though we usually agree in principle.)

Anyway, maybe we need to go do some recruiting over at NOM and bring some of the militant feminist over here to shake things up? :smile:
  Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn't participate enthusiastically. - Robert Kirby

cwald

Re: Where are all the women?

Post by cwald » 26 Feb 2011, 17:03

Actually, maybe there are more women on here than I realize. It's hard to tell. Perhaps it might be helpful to have a gender option that goes with the avatars? I put mine in my signature line. Just a thought.
  Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn't participate enthusiastically. - Robert Kirby

mercyngrace

Post by mercyngrace » 26 Feb 2011, 18:06

Female...
Her sins, which are many, are forgiven; for she loved much: but to whom little is forgiven, the same loveth little. ~ Luke 7:47

doug

Post by doug » 26 Feb 2011, 18:55

You forgot hawkgrrl ... and maybe some others? And for all you know, I could be female, too. :shh:
cwald wrote:I erased my suggestions. It would have just got me in trouble.
Since when is that a problem?

I really appreciate the female perspective on staylds-type issues that I find here, and though you're probably right about the numbers, I don't think it ever occurred to me that the girls are under-represented. Maybe it's because the only other internet forum that I frequent is car-related, and females there are rare as hen's teeth.

Actually, now that I think about it, any suggestion I could offer for the disparity would probably sound sexist. I would probably offer something along the lines of the personality types that drive someone to participate in this type of forum, and the relative occurrence of those personality types amongst males/females. That's probably a lot of hooey, but I think it is a common conception/misconception, and it certainly conforms to my personal (though limited) experience, i.e. with real people. Not that you folks aren't real ... Oh, bother.

And to add more fuel to the fire, consider the person or people on this forum with the most strident views. Not naming names, but for the most part those voices tend to be male. Why is that? Probably there just aren't enough people here (of either sex) to make a valid statistical proposition.

I'll just throw out that among the handful of internet sites that I have found most helpful, two of them are run by females: the faithfuldissident blog and feminist mormon housewives.
Last edited by doug on 26 Feb 2011, 23:08, edited 1 time in total.
The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also. -- Mark Twain

observant

Post by observant » 26 Feb 2011, 21:59

Female
"Some think it's holding on that makes one strong; sometimes it's letting go. "~Sylvia Robinson

Kalola

Post by Kalola » 26 Feb 2011, 22:25

"Where have all the flowers gone ...." Sorry, that song came to mind for some reason.

"I am woman, hear me roar ... in numbers to big to ignore ...."

Sorry, again.

Yes, indeed, I am most definitely FEMALE. :smile:

I tend to just lurk here at StayLDS. I've been posting on another message board since I'm going through a rough time right now regarding the church. :(

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 26 Feb 2011, 22:58

Sorry to hear that, Kalola.

Not female by birth, but half female through marriage. (Doesn't count, I know.)
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

canadiangirl

Post by canadiangirl » 26 Feb 2011, 23:34

I often feel that the female side of things are underrepresented and love when a new female joins the group. From my personal perspective, I think there are a few reasons why the females that are on the board don't post as much, first being many of us have children who interrupt us frequently. These interruptions often keep me from composing a well thought out post. I can't tell you how many half-posts I have written and then deleted either because it is disjointed or I didn't have time to complete it. Personally, I also feel like I'm in kindergarten when it comes to staylds issues and I really don't have much to offer yet, especially when it comes to doctrinal stuff. Another reason I don't post too much is because I'm still quite angry and this forum tends to like calm answers.

There are quite a few females that post often on NOM and I'm not sure why StayLDS is more male oriented. Any theories?

CG

canadiangirl

Post by canadiangirl » 26 Feb 2011, 23:37

I should add that I don't find anyone here scary except for Ray sometimes ;)

CG

Brian Johnston
Site Admin

Post by Brian Johnston » 27 Feb 2011, 07:51

OK, I will throw this out and then duck. But I think culturally, men are generally more comfortable arguing and debating with each other. That happens a lot on these boards (we do it nicely here). A lot of topics are an explicit and direct declaration of what is wrong! with an invitation to challenge the idea being presented.

For better or worse, I think that cultural element plays a part in it on some level. It's nurture not nature, especially coming from a traditional LDS culture (very broad brush generality).

I love the participation of women here. Their perspective is very enlightening.
"It's strange to be here. The mystery never leaves you alone." -John O'Donohue, Anam Cara, speaking of experiencing life.