The boy drank coffee yesterday

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
cwald

The boy drank coffee yesterday

Post by cwald » 19 Feb 2011, 22:43

My 13 1/2 year old boy snuck a cup of coffee on me last night in the hotel while I was out watching the daughter in district basketball tournament.

I chuckled this morning as I cleaned up the evidence and washed out the coffee pot. I asked him as we were driving home if he liked his coffee. He was shocked and scared, and said, "I don't know why people make such a big deal about some of these stupid rules we have. What's the big deal anyway?"

I gave him a hug and just agreed with him.
  Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn't participate enthusiastically. - Robert Kirby

Tom Haws

Re: The boy drank coffee yesterday

Post by Tom Haws » 19 Feb 2011, 22:52

I'm not looking forward to my first taste of coffee, whenever that will be. I used to drink toasted barley tea (mugi cha) at BYU, but it didn't really catch on for me (though I do have a couple of bags in my cupboard right now).
Last edited by Tom Haws on 20 Feb 2011, 07:16, edited 1 time in total.
Tom (aka Justin Martyr/Justin Morning/Jacob Marley/Kupord Maizzed)
Higley and Guadalupe
Gilbert, Arizona
----
Sure, any religion would do. But I'm LDS.
"There are no academic issues. Everything is emotional to somebody." Ray Degraw at www.StayLDS.com

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 20 Feb 2011, 01:38

mugi cha - There's a taste I hoped I would never have to remember. :cry:
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Tom Haws

Post by Tom Haws » 20 Feb 2011, 15:59

Eek! My eleven-year-old just asked me to take him to get a cup of coffee. His brother said, "You're too young!" All I said was, "I'm not sure what to say."

By the way, I have no reservations about saying that while coffee may be useful medication on occasion, it is not good daily food. It is harmful. It probably isn't as harmful as daily Coke, Pepsi, or Mountain Dew, but it's still not good for daily food.
Tom (aka Justin Martyr/Justin Morning/Jacob Marley/Kupord Maizzed)
Higley and Guadalupe
Gilbert, Arizona
----
Sure, any religion would do. But I'm LDS.
"There are no academic issues. Everything is emotional to somebody." Ray Degraw at www.StayLDS.com

Fatherof4husbandof1

Post by Fatherof4husbandof1 » 20 Feb 2011, 18:28

My 13 1/2 year old boy snuck a cup of coffee on me last night in the hotel while I was out watching the daughter in district basketball tournament.
Sounds like you handled it very well Cwald. Is it time for a coffee maker at home?

I still have to hide the instant in an unmarked container way up on the top shelf. The wife is okay with it, but the kids are still coming along as I slowly talk them through the LDS white-washing.

Last week at the childrens hospital I was thinking of how you can't smoke a cigarette anywhere on the campus, yet there is a coffee machine in every break room and a Starbucks on the first floor go figure!

I agree Tom, too much of a good or otherwise harmless thing can be bad. Remember the water drinking contest in Calf. a wile back? It was stopped when someone died of water intoxication. Back to old faithful--Moderation in all things-- except you neighbors wife that is. JS must have been texting Michael when that revelation arrived! :lol:

f4h1
to infinity...and beyond!!!!!

flower

Post by flower » 21 Feb 2011, 08:53

cwald... you handled this well. You are a good dad! :clap:

I have always loved the smell of coffee, but hate the taste. I wouldn't mind a french vanilla cappuccino or something along those lines. I really love tea, and find it to be the most healthy route for an energy boost. I mostly just drink water, and I avoid energy drinks and all soda in general.
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." ~Rudyard Kipling

http://tinymosquito.blogspot.com/

cwald

Post by cwald » 21 Feb 2011, 11:41

Thanks Flower.

I have no plans to go out and get a coffee machine. I enjoy a cup of coffee now and then - especially when I'm out camping, but I really don't need another vice right now. I do not drink energy drinks, and have cut my soda intake down to about 1 a week. I did talk to the boy about energy drinks and such the other day.
  Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn't participate enthusiastically. - Robert Kirby

Unsure Footing

Post by Unsure Footing » 21 Feb 2011, 11:49

I had a recent hotel experience with Coffee myself.

I was out of town for an important meeting where I had to present some of my research to our funding board, and had just purchased a brand new white shirt for the occasion. I got it out to iron it and put some water in the hotel room iron so the steam would push out the folding seams. Anyway, when I went to iron my shirt, instead of nice hot steam coming out of the iron, out came coffee - leaving a huge streaky coffee stain on my brand new shirt.

The prior "guest" in that room must have been a malicious jerk, and put coffee in the iron so that when I went to use it ended up on my shirt.

I had a backup shirt - but that was a pretty terrible morning.

wmgoethe

Post by wmgoethe » 21 Feb 2011, 12:22

My 13 1/2 year old boy snuck a cup of coffee on me last night in the hotel while I was out watching the daughter in district basketball tournament.I chuckled this morning as I cleaned up the evidence and washed out the coffee pot. I asked him as we were driving home if he liked his coffee. He was shocked and scared, and said, "I don't know why people make such a big deal about some of these stupid rules we have. What's the big deal anyway?"

I gave him a hug and just agreed with him. - cwald
I have to agree with the both of you on that I mean like really unless you drink enough to cause horse to have a heart atack which would be kind've hard seeing that coffee is a terefic laxitive which means its kind've hard to drink that much coffee and live on the toilet. Any way back to what I was saying the church says that coffee is bad for your health I don't see how all that you have got to do is not overdue it and you will be fine I'm a online college student and I only drink one to two pots a day. I think that what the scripters say about hot drinks they are not talking about coffee they are talking about the way that they used to drink there hot drinks they would drink it literaly hot enough to burn you bad now that can cause problenms enternaly. if you wacht westerns then you have seen the scene where the guy grabs the coffee pot off of fire and chuggs the whole thing down just short of boiling thats what they where talking about not the coffee it self.

wmgoethe

Post by wmgoethe » 21 Feb 2011, 12:33

Fatherof4husbandof1 wrote:
Sounds like you handled it very well Cwald. Is it time for a coffee maker at home?

I still have to hide the instant in an unmarked container way up on the top shelf. The wife is okay with it, but the kids are still coming along as I slowly talk them through the LDS white-washing.

Last week at the childrens hospital I was thinking of how you can't smoke a cigarette anywhere on the campus, yet there is a coffee machine in every break room and a Starbucks on the first floor go figure!

I agree Tom, too much of a good or otherwise harmless thing can be bad. Remember the water drinking contest in Calf. a wile back? It was stopped when someone died of water intoxication. Back to old faithful--Moderation in all things-- except you neighbors wife that is. JS must have been texting Michael when that revelation arrived! :lol:

f4h1
I still have figuered out how to only quote only part of a messesge but dude you are completely right moderation in everything :shock: :crazy: :roll: Me on the other hand I'm not good until I start rezembling all three of these in one