"I Dont' Care"

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
Kalola

"I Dont' Care"

Post by Kalola » 17 Jan 2011, 14:28

Several years back, I was doing some research on near-death experiences. I came across this website http://www.mellen-thomas.com/stories.htm Mellen-Thomas Benedict recounted his NDE and shared the following:
I asked God: “What is the best religion on the planet? Which one is right?” And Godhead said, with great love: “I don’t care.” That was incredible grace. When Godhead said, “I don’t care,” I immediately understood that it is for us to care about. It is important, because we are the caring beings. It matters to us and that is where it is important. What you have is the energy equation in spirituality. Ultimate Godhead does not care if you are Protestant, Buddhist, or whatever. It is all a blooming facet of the whole. I wish that all religions would realize it and let each other be. It is not the end of each religion, but we are talking about the same God. Live and let live. Each has a different view. And it all adds up to the big picture; it is all important. ~ Mellen-Thomas Benedict
After reading what Mellen-Thomas experienced, I came to the understanding that it does not matter what religion you follow. As they say, "It's all good."

I have been drawn to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and that's where I believe God wants me to be on my life's journey.

What are your thoughts on God's response "I don't care?"

DevilsAdvocate

Re: "I Dont' Care"

Post by DevilsAdvocate » 17 Jan 2011, 15:02

Kalola wrote:Several years back, I was doing some research on near-death experiences...Mellen-Thomas Benedict recounted his NDE and shared the following:
I asked God: “What is the best religion on the planet? Which one is right?” And Godhead said, with great love: “I don’t care.” That was incredible grace. When Godhead said, “I don’t care,” I immediately understood that it is for us to care about...It matters to us and that is where it is important....I wish that all religions would realize it and let each other be....Live and let live. Each has a different view.
After reading what Mellen-Thomas experienced, I came to the understanding that it does not matter what religion you follow. As they say, "It's all good."...What are your thoughts on God's response "I don't care?"
Makes sense to me. If God really wanted everyone that deserves to be saved to be Mormon then it seems like he could have easily done more to make the LDS Church look more credible to honest truth-seekers with the best possible intentions. A few "revelations" at the right times could have made a world of difference. As far as I'm concerned, religious organizations and beliefs should exist mostly for the good of people as a whole if at all. Like Jesus said, "The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath" (Mark 2:27).
"Truth is what works." - William James

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 17 Jan 2011, 15:56

Wonderful post, Kalola.

I agree totally that it is up to the individual to find what works for her - and that God won't condemn someone for that choice. It's part of my own view of pure Mormonism - the idea that everyone except those who look God in the eye, recognize God, and then swing their fists will be rewarded and saved (whatever those words mean).

I do think God cares - about the overall happiness and joy of their children. I think God wept over the Inquisition. I think God weeps over the killings done in God's name.

Those things, however, are very different than caring about exactly which religion / denomination each person chooses to believe and follow.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

cwald

Post by cwald » 17 Jan 2011, 18:40

Kalola wrote:
What are your thoughts on God's response "I don't care?"
I agree with him.

I would also agree that he doesn't care if one decides to be mormon either, even with all it's flaws.
  Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn't participate enthusiastically. - Robert Kirby

canadiangirl

Post by canadiangirl » 17 Jan 2011, 19:42

I remember reading a blog post when I was researching NDE that proposed the thesis that Joseph Smith's vision was a NDE. If we see it as that, it makes a lot of sense for the vision to have changed overtime as JS ideas about religion changed and his desire to set his religion apart from those around him grew. The first vision is similar to the NDE you described in my opinion.

Of course we will never know but I thought it was an interesting perspective.

I agree that God doesn't care much what religion we belong to or if we belong to one at all. I do believe there are many paths to God and mormonism is one of them if we are open to personal revelation, intuitions etc.

CG

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 18 Jan 2011, 07:02

I've heard the vision explained as many things from an epileptic experience to an alien abduction, but that's a new one on me.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

Butters

Post by Butters » 18 Jan 2011, 10:54

I have always felt that religion is a stepping stone in getting back to heaven. It didn't matter the religion, it was all for the same ultimate goal. So that response doesn't surprise me. I would think that if we are earnestly trying to do what is right and doing good to those around us then it is all good!
Never look down on anybody, unless you're helping them up.

Brian Johnston
Site Admin

Post by Brian Johnston » 19 Jan 2011, 10:13

I get what he is saying. Totally.

I argue slightly different than some. Many conclude that all religions are the same, as long as you are a good person.

I do think it matters what religion we participate in. All religions have a story, and take you on a trip somewhere. Just like all roller-coasters are not the same, even though they are all roller-coasters.

Which roller-coaster(s) do we want to ride on while we are staying in Disney World?
"It's strange to be here. The mystery never leaves you alone." -John O'Donohue, Anam Cara, speaking of experiencing life.