The Good Impact of StayLDS

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
johndehlin

Re: The Good Impact of StayLDS

Post by johndehlin » 22 Jan 2011, 09:30

I'm a bit of a StayLDS prodigal....but I am so very glad it's here for people who need it (and there are many).

I'm also very, very grateful to all of you who have helped to keep it strong, and make it stronger.

Thank you. A million thank yous.

John Dehlin

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 22 Jan 2011, 09:38

John, the prodigal is the wrong parable, fwiw.

There's this story of the man who went into a distant land and left others to take care of his property while he was gone . . . We're just trying not to beat up and kill anyone you send to check on it. ;)
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

bridget_night

Post by bridget_night » 22 Jan 2011, 12:07

John Dehlin, I love you for starting this group and for all you do. I have sent so many, your Utube link on "Why members leave the church". They never write me back or want to talk about the video with me though. It is so excellent on how we want to be treated.

My brother sent me an article on
Golden Plates on Display in Bulgaria 's National History Museum in Sofia like that was proof the Book of Mormon was true. I just thanked him nicely. What I wanted to say was 'just because someone found a book with the same binding as this other book doesn't make it true." But, I am learning to keep my mouth shut more.

Bridget

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 24 Jan 2011, 11:27

Mr Dehlin,

I appreciate most of what you've done, I think it's positive. I don't necessarily agree with you on absolutely everything, but I believe your intentions are good...

I think the only thing is that there isn't much for us foreigners! I wonder if one day Latin America shall develop its own similar tendency, amongst the many Spanish and Portuguese speakers (I suspect the sheer weight of numbers probably will)... but I don't know what the future holds for LDS mavericks in Europe, Australia and Polynesia, or worse, Africa and Asia...

It definitely feels very lonely out here in this regard, and there isn't really much for the likes of me to physically go to. (I dare say I could hop on the next plane to the US of A, and attend a conference, but that's, erm, pretty expensive)
My brother sent me an article on
Golden Plates on Display in Bulgaria 's National History Museum in Sofia like that was proof the Book of Mormon was true.
I looked this up... Actually it's pretty cool archeology, whether or not one sees it as "evidence"!
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

dash1730

Post by dash1730 » 06 Feb 2011, 21:02

I come here sometimes just to hear some honest discussion about a religion I care so very much about. In fact, I may care to much, but hearing others share their hopes and fears helps me get through another day. Thanks, all.
I may not walk the straight and narrow, but I try to cross it as often as I can.
---J Golden Kimball