The afterlife

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
canadiangirl

Re: The afterlife

Post by canadiangirl » 08 Dec 2010, 20:33

Flower,

You have given me a lot to think about and strangely enough I had a spiritual experience reading your post. I'm not sure what it means but I think I gained some insight into my own life and I thank you for sharing your thoughts so that I might gain understanding.

Canada

jwald

Post by jwald » 08 Dec 2010, 21:03

Flower,

You have given me a lot to think about and strangely enough I had a spiritual experience reading your post. I'm not sure what it means but I think I gained some insight into my own life and I thank you for sharing your thoughts so that I might gain understanding.

Canada
ME TOO!
:idea:
-We may choose to be reborn and even choose the life we are born into. (Because we are here to "experience", it make sense that we would want to experience all human conditions. How else could we ever truly know ourselves? This could never be done in one life. Therefore we may choose to come back and experience more. Maleness, femaleness, love, wealth, power, success, poverty, discrimination, suffering, abuse, etc... This helps me to understand suffering, and view it as an incredible experience. I still however, have a strong desire to ease suffering... perhaps because I have experienced extreme suffering in a past life)
The idea of reincarnation has always rang true to me. But I never really thought about why until your post. I don't know what God is. I think I exasperate my husband because one day I will be content to conceptualize God in the traditional sense and the next day have no problem conceiving God as a benevolent being/beings from another world who helped jump start our planet before moving on.
But if we are to one day become Gods/Goddesses we would need something like reincarnation to be truly omniscient wouldn't we?

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 08 Dec 2010, 21:55

Fwiw, I think we talk of Heavenly Father because our scriptures were written by men. Period.

I really like the concept of Heavenly Mother, at the very least just to state explicitly that women can become "God" just as well as men. There's so much cultural and historical crap wrapped up in seeing God as exclusively male that I'm glad Mormonism makes the claim that such a construct is wrong.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

bridget_night

Post by bridget_night » 09 Dec 2010, 03:19

SilentDawning wrote:To me, the whole Godhood thing makes terrific sense. It's a continuation of what we experience here on earth (most of us). We are born to parents, progress, get our own homes, then often, have our own children, and then those children grow, have grandchildren, and the population grows. We also grow in our capacity to achieve and grow and do other things as we get older. As we progress, our children are often incredibly impressed at what we know and what we can do, when to us, they are simply outgrowths of our life's experiences and the school of "hard knocks". We actually grow up to be like our parents in many respects -- physically, and in some of our habits.

On the other hand, is this for everyone? To be Gods and have our own worlds? I don't think so. While we all have that potiential, I think some would reject that lifestyle. In this life, there are people who don't want to go beyond living a single life. They have their sights set on other goals, and gain fulfilment from them. I can see myself being that way when I get older.

So, what does this mean for everyone? I think this means that there will be great diversity in what people do for eternity -- and most of it by choice.
This is what I believe too SD. I thought alot about this on my mission and wrote about it here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1108&p=12546&hilit= ... ces#p12546

That couplet about "As man is, God was once was, and as God is, man may become," is something I really liked because I always felt that I could not pray to a God who had not gone through the earthly experiences and pains I was going through. As far as how could God allow or watch all this suffering?....well, first of all we do watch our kids go through suffering in order to mature and grow. Along the way alot of damage can occur. But, through the atonement of Jesus Christ (a Savior) the damage can be reversed....that is the only answer that has made any sense to me.

GBSmith

Post by GBSmith » 09 Dec 2010, 14:03

The idea of a heavenly mother is interesting but other than for the line in "Oh My Father" I don't think anything has ever been taught about it . I read that someone read Eliza R. Snow's diaries and there's no reference to the doctrine during the time she was with JS. It seems to be the conventional wisdom in the church but as GBH pointed out, it's not ever taught.

The couplet about "As man is..." dates from about the 4th century from St. Ireneaus and the doctine of theosis as was pointed out by Mormon Heretic a few months back. The problem when you apply it to the conclusions that mormons make about it it raises questions that aren't answerable. If God/Heavely Father was once mortal then who was his God and who was the savior of his world? Is God just the God of this world or this galaxy or the entire universe? If he had a mortal beginning will he have an ending so someone can take his place and continue the progression? It can really give you a headache and for me doesn't do much to encourage me to a better life now because everything is focused to the after mortal life. IMHO.

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 09 Dec 2010, 15:21

The problem with eternal progression is that it cannot go on forever. Omnipotence is only as far as it can go.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 09 Dec 2010, 16:09

Yeah, that darned limitation of omnipotence!! Omniscience is a real bummer, too. :P
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Tom Haws

Post by Tom Haws » 09 Dec 2010, 21:57

Afterlife:

1. What flowerdrops said.

2. What Near Death Experiences say.
Tom (aka Justin Martyr/Justin Morning/Jacob Marley/Kupord Maizzed)
Higley and Guadalupe
Gilbert, Arizona
----
Sure, any religion would do. But I'm LDS.
"There are no academic issues. Everything is emotional to somebody." Ray Degraw at www.StayLDS.com

Cadence

Post by Cadence » 10 Dec 2010, 06:26

I like the concept of eternal progression. It is exciting to believe that you can continue after this life to larger and more expansive experiences. On the other hand I do not think there is anyone alive that really knows what is in store for us. The scriptures are mostly silent on the after life or at least the details of it. Most modern thought is just speculation, so I would not worry about something we really know nothing about.
Faith, as well intentioned as it may be, must be built on facts, not fiction--faith in fiction is a damnable false hope. Thomas A. Edison

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” Neil deGrasse Tyson

cwald

Post by cwald » 10 Dec 2010, 11:53

Cadence wrote:.. The scriptures are mostly silent on the after life or at least the details of it. Most modern thought is just speculation...
Exactly.
  Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn't participate enthusiastically. - Robert Kirby