The afterlife

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
Butters

The afterlife

Post by Butters » 08 Dec 2010, 10:07

I thought I would make a new topic out of this because I am curious to know others thoughts on my point of view.

I have always been troubled by the idea that we would be Gods/Goddesses of our own worlds and that we would be like God to those worlds. Here is why: I have never liked the idea of us coming to earth with no memory of the pre-existence, allowed to flounder and find our way. Hoping that we were not sent to some 3rd world country where we would starve to death or something. As a mother, I can't imagine being a "heavenly mother" and sending my children down to experience such a life with no memory of being loved and wanted. Of sending my children off to something unknown to them and just hoping they made it back to me.

So then, that brings me to the afterlife and becoming Gods/Goddesses. If you look at the whole mind blowing eternity idea if we are to pro-create in the afterlife and have spirit children and we create a world. By the time we create a world and whatever else it involves then we have a gazillion spirit children. Since these spirit children are just spirits and live in heaven they really don't know what is joy or sadness so they are just content. Then we decide that for them to have joy they must go to our world and have a body and thus the cycle repeats itself. The same cycle that we are in. Maybe this is what happened to us.
And that is why I don't want to pro-create in the after life. I don't want to create this for others. Personally, I like the idea of living in contentment with those that love me and are around me. I don't want to be the missing Heavenly Mother figure. That just doesn't make sense to me and makes me very sad to think that is what happened.

What are your thoughts on that?
Never look down on anybody, unless you're helping them up.

doug

Re: The afterlife

Post by doug » 08 Dec 2010, 10:56

God's ways are not man's ways. ;)

I seriously think there's something to that, and certainly that would be part of the response from any TBx (true believing whatever) to that question. As for me, I don't think anyone really has a clue of what the afterlife will be like. We have a model in the church which works for a lot of people, though the model falls apart at a certain point for me. I try to look at it as no more than a best guess.
Last edited by doug on 08 Dec 2010, 18:37, edited 1 time in total.
The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also. -- Mark Twain

Orson
Site Admin

Post by Orson » 08 Dec 2010, 12:32

I second Doug's thoughts. Any model falls apart if you follow it too far, and nobody living can speak from experience about what the afterlife is really like. If something makes more sense to you, and you feel the spirit is leading you in some thought process, go with it. For me, I feel like I should become more comfortable in saying "I don't know." If I concentrate on making heaven on earth I think the afterlife will take care of itself.
My avatar - both physical and spiritual.

I first found faith, and thought I had all truth. I then discovered doubt, and claimed a more accurate truth. Now I’ve greeted paradox and a deeper truth than I have ever known.

DevilsAdvocate

Post by DevilsAdvocate » 08 Dec 2010, 14:39

Butters wrote: I have always been troubled by the idea that we would be Gods/Goddesses of our own worlds and that we would be like God to those worlds...So then, that brings me to the afterlife and becoming Gods/Goddesses. If you look at the whole mind blowing eternity idea if we are to pro-create in the afterlife and have spirit children and we create a world. By the time we create a world and whatever else it involves then we have a gazillion spirit children. Since these spirit children are just spirits and live in heaven they really don't know what is joy or sadness so they are just content. Then we decide that for them to have joy they must go to our world and have a body and thus the cycle repeats itself. The same cycle that we are in...I don't want to create this for others. Personally, I like the idea of living in contentment...What are your thoughts on that?
The scenario of becoming gods sounds too much like work to me and my guess is that this idea is based on pure speculation and conjecture. I believe there will some kind of afterlife mostly based on a few ghost stories and out-of-body experiences I have heard about but I doubt that anyone really knows exactly what it will be like. I will say that I feel fairly confident that Mormons will not be condemned to hellfire and damnation for believing what they do the way some Christians like to claim. There is also some anecdotal evidence for reincarnation like people supposedly remembering details of past lives that turn out to be correct when checked. I just don't know about the whole idea of some eternal reward or punishment based entirely on what we do in this life, it seems way too convenient as a manipulation tool for me to take seriously without being cynical about it.
Last edited by DevilsAdvocate on 08 Dec 2010, 16:04, edited 1 time in total.
"Truth is what works." - William James

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 08 Dec 2010, 15:17

Yeah, this is one area where I am totally comfortable saying, "I don't know" - even when I've already shared some of what I think makes the most sesne to me.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

flower

Post by flower » 08 Dec 2010, 15:55

I don't usually discuss my views of the afterlife, they greatly differ than what I have been taught. But so much of what I was taught, never felt right or fair to me, so I instead formed beliefs of what feels right to me. (again, these are my own personal beliefs which I usually keep to myself.. they wouldn't go over too well among my TBM family and friends, especially my ideas of multiple lives!)

-God is love.

-God is neither male or female, but both.

-God does not judge us.

-There is no hell.

-There is no caste system.

-Heaven is having a closeness to God, knowing ourselves, and discovering the god within us.

-Life is not a test. (and if life were a test, it would be unfair if one life were all we got, considering the horrible circumstances some are born into.)

-We are here for an experience. (It is through experience we come to know ourselves)

-We may choose to be reborn and even choose the life we are born into. (Because we are here to "experience", it make sense that we would want to experience all human conditions. How else could we ever truly know ourselves? This could never be done in one life. Therefore we may choose to come back and experience more. Maleness, femaleness, love, wealth, power, success, poverty, discrimination, suffering, abuse, etc... This helps me to understand suffering, and view it as an incredible experience. I still however, have a strong desire to ease suffering... perhaps because I have experienced extreme suffering in a past life)

-Those that we love and bond with in life, will remain connected in spirit forever. (our relationships can be eternal, but only if we have cultivated the necessary amount of love.)
Last edited by flower on 08 Dec 2010, 19:53, edited 1 time in total.
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." ~Rudyard Kipling

http://tinymosquito.blogspot.com/

Gulp...

Post by Gulp... » 08 Dec 2010, 17:07

The doctrine on Gods/Goddesses always stopped me dead in my tracks too. I just can't imagine and it seems wrong to me. I agree, I couldnt send my children out to a world like this and watch suffering. It's hard enough to watch my children now in this wonderful crazy world. I don't know what the after life entails. But I want to believe that God and heaven is this unimaginable place of love,security and infinate happiness. I love the pre-mortal existance doctrine that we lived in heaven with God...........though I can do without the "we're here to be tested to prove our worthiness" to be with him. If my spirit was worthy before why did it have to be tested. This question of why we are here is irrelevant to me.... I am already here. I also don't believe that there is a hell or outer darkness. I believe "hell" is a state that you may be in in the afterlife if you have not made ammends with God or others who you have hurt. Too many souls in this life are born into some pretty devistating conditions/families. I dont believe God cares what religion you are. I believe he's looking for who you are. Glad you brought up this topic. It's an interesting one to me. :)

SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning » 08 Dec 2010, 18:33

To me, the whole Godhood thing makes terrific sense. It's a continuation of what we experience here on earth (most of us). We are born to parents, progress, get our own homes, then often, have our own children, and then those children grow, have grandchildren, and the population grows. We also grow in our capacity to achieve and grow and do other things as we get older. As we progress, our children are often incredibly impressed at what we know and what we can do, when to us, they are simply outgrowths of our life's experiences and the school of "hard knocks". We actually grow up to be like our parents in many respects -- physically, and in some of our habits.

On the other hand, is this for everyone? To be Gods and have our own worlds? I don't think so. While we all have that potiential, I think some would reject that lifestyle. In this life, there are people who don't want to go beyond living a single life. They have their sights set on other goals, and gain fulfilment from them. I can see myself being that way when I get older.

So, what does this mean for everyone? I think this means that there will be great diversity in what people do for eternity -- and most of it by choice.
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

A man asked Jesus "do all roads lead to you?" Jesus responds,”most roads don’t lead anywhere, but I will travel any road to find you.” Adapted from The Shack, William Young

cwald

Post by cwald » 08 Dec 2010, 19:26

I think all these responses have merit. I tend to be cynical about it much like the DA stated, and my personal belief is very similar to Flower.

And kind of like Ray said, I have finally become comfortable admitting that I don't really know, I'm probably never going to know in this life, and I don't think anyone else on this planet knows anymore about this particular topic than I do. (and yes, that includes the prophet and the Dalia Lama! :twisted: )

BTW Flower - It is NOT a good thing to say, "there is no hell." to TBM type personalities and especially protestants. I've made that mistake, and both groups have their scripture they will quote at you. Was it Korihor that said there was no hell before he got struck down?
  Jesus gave us the gospel, but Satan invented church. It takes serious evil to formalize faith into something tedious and then pile guilt on anyone who doesn't participate enthusiastically. - Robert Kirby

jwald

Post by jwald » 08 Dec 2010, 20:32

I don't want to be the missing Heavenly Mother figure.
This is very close to my feelings about the whole becoming Gods/Goddesses in the afterlife. I don't have any desire to be "worshiped" as a Goddess but becoming a nameless, unseen, unspoken to entity in the lives of all the "spirit children" I'm supposed to help bear just does not sit well with me. We are taught to understand God as a loving Heavenly Father so naturally we would extend our own experiences as parents on earth to what we imagine in the afterlife. Which makes me hope that we either don't really comprehend what God is or that there is something I'm missing about the purpose of our existence here on earth. :think: