Relief Society General Meeting

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
canadiangirl

Relief Society General Meeting

Post by canadiangirl » 26 Sep 2010, 00:18

I didn't attend the Relief Society General Meeting this evening but my facebook was buzzing with excitement over Pres. Monson's talk and so I decided to watch in on lds.org. I was pleasantly surprised to hear him say these words,
"My dear sisters, each of you is unique. You are different from each other in many ways. There are those of you who are married. Some of you stay at home with your children, while others of you work outside your homes. Some of you are empty-nesters. There are those of you who are married but do not have children. There are those who are divorced, those who are widowed. Many of you are single women. Some of you have college degrees; some of you do not. There are those who can afford the latest fashions and those who are lucky to have one appropriate Sunday outfit. Such differences are almost endless. Do these differences tempt us to judge one another?

Mother Teresa, a Catholic nun who worked among the poor in India most of her life, spoke this profound truth: “If you judge people, you have no time to love them.” The Savior has admonished, “This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.” I ask: Can we love one another, as the Savior has commanded, if we judge each other? And I answer—with Mother Teresa—“No; we cannot.”

In my mind Pres. Monson just broke every cultural stigma about what a mormon woman is with this statement. I feel like he has validated every situation a female member of the church could possibly be in (except of course those with SSA but I'm hopeful) and given them permission to be all they can be in those situations regardless of what those around them may say. My heart is full of joy over this and I wanted to share it. I'm sure there are those that may be skeptical about this statement and believe me I am having doubts pop up as I write this but overall I can see this talk as a turning point in the way women treat each other in the church and that is a good thing.

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Re: Relief Society General Meeting

Post by Curt Sunshine » 26 Sep 2010, 06:12

Wow! What a GREAT quote. Thanks for sharing it.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

flower

Post by flower » 26 Sep 2010, 10:22

My first reaction to the part of the talk Canadiangirl posted was that... I didn't agree he covered every situation an lds woman finds herself in. He did great covering marital, family, educational and financial statuses, but failed to mention anything about women who are at different places as far as their testimonies, spiritual paths, and how well they put gospel principles in to practice.

In my experience LDS women can be extremely judgmental (thus the reason this was such a needed talk) but they reserve their harshest judgments for those who are not living life to their expectations and standards. I would have loved to hear the message that we are also unique in our views (including political), practices, beliefs and levels of spirituality... and this is okay! Judge not!

Okay... then I took a closer look at President Monson's words of the evening on lds.org and found this quote on charity...

"I consider charity—or the “pure love of Christ”—to be the opposite of criticism and judging. In speaking of charity, I do not at this moment have in mind the relief of the suffering through the giving of our substance. That, of course, is necessary and proper. Tonight, however, I have in mind the charity that manifests itself when we are tolerant of others and lenient toward their actions; the kind of charity that forgives; the kind of charity that is patient.... Charity is having patience with someone who has let us down; it is resisting the impulse to become offended easily. It is accepting weaknesses and shortcomings. It is accepting people as they truly are. It is looking beyond physical appearances to attributes that will not dim through time. It is resisting the impulse to categorize others." —President Thomas S. Monson

I loved this talk! I loved that he quoted Mother Theresa... I loved that he focused on Christ's admonishment to not judge, to love everyone!

Amen Pres. Monson!!!! This talk was awesome!
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." ~Rudyard Kipling

http://tinymosquito.blogspot.com/

flower

Post by flower » 26 Sep 2010, 10:25

canadiangirl wrote:I can see this talk as a turning point in the way women treat each other in the church and that is a good thing.
Please God... I hope so!
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." ~Rudyard Kipling

http://tinymosquito.blogspot.com/

findingmyownfooting

Post by findingmyownfooting » 26 Sep 2010, 10:29

I was also uplifted by Pres. Monson's talk but wished he had focused more on the non-visible differences. Thanks for pointing out that part of his talk flowerdrops.
Religion has the power to use the amazing abilities of our mind. When a person truly believes the act of practising something will bring them happiness then putting into practise that belief WILL bring them happiness.

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 26 Sep 2010, 10:48

Just a quick note as food for thought:

I'm not sure it's possible to cover everything possible in a talk - and I hope we don't criticize a talk for not meeting ALL of our own expectations (wanting Pres. Monson to include absolutely everyone possible) when talking about something that did address SO MANY of our expectations.

Whether or not this will cause change is up to individual members now - and I did hear this talk referenced in Testimony Meeting today, in the context of how wonderful it was to hear the Prophet include ALL women as special no matter the circumstances of their lives. If that is the message that many women take from the talk, wonderful - even if there are some circumstances that weren't mentioned explicitly.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning » 26 Sep 2010, 12:03

Ray Degraw wrote:Just a quick note as food for thought:

I'm not sure it's possible to cover everything possible in a talk - and I hope we don't criticize a talk for not meeting ALL of our own expectations (wanting Pres. Monson to include absolutely everyone possible) when talking about something that did address SO MANY of our expectations.

Whether or not this will cause change is up to individual members now - and I did hear this talk referenced in Testimony Meeting today, in the context of how wonderful it was to hear the Prophet include ALL women as special no matter the circumstances of their lives. If that is the message that many women take from the talk, wonderful - even if there are some circumstances that weren't mentioned explicitly.
I think the fact that he didn't talk assuming that everyone is a stay-at-home Mom married to an "righteous priestholder" is a step in the right direction.

Today I was teaching about Family History in Gospel Essentials, and a woman who is normally very spiritually receptive to everything I say clammed up entirely. I could see something was bothering her. I thought it might be that she didn't know who her parents were -- a novel thought and sensitivity when learning/teaching geneology.

So, I said "what about people who don't know who their parents are? How can family history bless them?" And then her eyes lit up and she looked at me in a moment of mutual understanding.

So, the fact that Monson expanded his comments to be more inclusive than usual, is good -- but I wouldn't expect him to include everyone given the sheer diversity of the human condition.
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

A man asked Jesus "do all roads lead to you?" Jesus responds,”most roads don’t lead anywhere, but I will travel any road to find you.” Adapted from The Shack, William Young

Kalola

Post by Kalola » 26 Sep 2010, 15:49

Ray Degraw wrote:Just a quick note as food for thought:

Thank you, Ray, for putting into words what I was thinking about President Monson's talk. I felt myself moved to tears several times as I listened to him speak. He truly loves ALL of the sisters.

canadiangirl

Post by canadiangirl » 26 Sep 2010, 16:22

Flowerdrop,

I also loved the quote about charity and what he was meaning by using that word. How wonderful it is to hear the essence of Christ's teachings being taught by the prophet.

I was saddened when I went to fast and testimony meeting today and there wasn't a mention of this talk. It really bothered me that more people didn't seem to see the significance that I saw. My perspective I guess and yes I could have gotten up and given my perspective but boy am I not ready for that yet. I thought about it hard actually but I was afraid of what might come out of my mouth. So what do I do instead. Tell you all here and mention it on facebook. Someday I hope to feel safe in my ward again.

Thanks for all the input. I would love to know what Carol Lynn Pearson thought of the talk. I recently watched her 5 part Mormonstories interview and loved her take on things. It was well worth the time. She is definitely an advocate for women.