Competing Gospel Principles: How Does One Prioritize?

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
PressingForward

Re: Competing Gospel Principles: How Does One Prioritize?

Post by PressingForward » 21 Jun 2010, 16:42

Thanks for breaking that down for me. I am really trying to do better at reading something and trying to find out what it is REALLY saying, as opposed to my assumptions on what is being said. Not looking further into things, one can miss out on a lot.. so I'm learning.

Heber13
Site Admin

Re: Competing Gospel Principles: How Does One Prioritize?

Post by Heber13 » 25 Jun 2010, 14:08

SilentDawning wrote:How do you decide between competing gospel choices like these?
I accept that there are consequences, so no matter what others think I should do, I'm the one that has to live with them...so that gives me the right to decide.

My priesthood leader who prepared for hours for a meeting may expect to see me at the meeting, but he does not have to live with my wife and kids and live with the consequences of that choice...I do. My bishop may challenge me to sacrifice and not become worldly in my pursuit of income or saving money...but he does not have to live in my situation daily.

I usually go through something like this:
- What does God want me to do? (Usually I don't think He has an opinion one way or the other).
- What is the cost-benefit look like? (as Cadence suggested)
- What should I do? (that will help me get the outcomes I want in life, with family, and others).
- What do I want to do? (What makes me happy?)

I don't think there are many I hold fast to absolutely right or wrong for all situations (including killing or lying)...and most daily choices will reappear so I can choose differently next time if I didn't get the consequence I expected, and life goes on.

Pres Faust said it well:
In this life we have to make many choices. Some are very important choices. Some are not. Many of our choices are between good and evil. The choices we make, however, determine to a large extent our happiness or our unhappiness, because we have to live with the consequences of our choices. Making perfect choices all of the time is not possible. It just doesn’t happen. But it is possible to make good choices we can live with and grow from.
-James E. Faust, “Choices,” Liahona, May 2004, 51–54
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."