Any blood donors here?

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
SamBee

Re: Any blood donors here?

Post by SamBee » 13 May 2010, 08:22

Weird! (The process, not the blood giving!)
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

nightwalden

Post by nightwalden » 13 May 2010, 11:27

I donate blood all the time and I think that I know the answers to all of the questions people have asked so far. There are several types of blood donations: whole blood, plasma, platelets and double red blood cells. When someone donates whole blood, the whole blood is separated in a lab into red blood cells, plasma, and platelets. Whole blood can be donated every 8 weeks. When someone donates platelets, plasma or double red blood cells, the blood is removed and then separated by a machine spinning the blood into the different parts. Whatever is not being donated is then put back in the donor by the machine. The process takes a while longer than donating whole blood. The advantage of doing donations other than whole blood is that more of what is needed can be safely taken. For example, donating double red blood cells provides two units for transfusion. It takes on average 6 units of whole blood to get as many platelets as one platelet only donation. Also, platelets are only viable out of the body for 7 days. Your body will replace the platelets donated in about 3 days. Platelet donations can be made every week or two depending on the blood donor center. They are all necessary and beneficial and helpful to the community.

I have done the double red blood cell donation but it was a little rough on my body so I always just give whole blood now. I had a couple transfusions as a kid and I have O- blood so I try to donate as regularly as possible. I know so many people that are ineligible to donate so I feel a responsibility to do it because I can. My lifetime total is probably between 3-4 gallons of blood donated and I'm in my late 20s.

P.S. I'm also on the national bone marrow registry in case someone can use my marrow someday.

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 13 May 2010, 12:04

I had a couple transfusions as a kid and I have O- blood so I try to donate as regularly as possible. I know so many people that are ineligible to donate so I feel a responsibility to do it because I can.
They ban people who have had blood transfusions here from giving blood.

I think it was to do with hepatitis scans.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

Martine

Post by Martine » 13 May 2010, 12:50

I actually really like giving blood (as much as one can...) because it's a relatively effortless way to give back and then you get juice and cookies. This is also why I liked primary. All blood is needed, so if you can, donate! I haven't been able to lately as I was living in the UK for a few years, but I'm eligible again in a few months.
I found it interesting when donating in the UK that they only have a 4-6 week wait period between visits as opposed to 8-10 weeks in Canada. Also, their snacks were better. Here's to the NHS!

As an aside, the first time I donated as a little 19 year old, I was first completely bummed that a person can't donate if they'd been to prison (they must know horrible things happen there...) and then trying not to laugh when a nurse with a heavy Newfoundland accent asked me the sex/drugs questions.

Clarification: I haven't been to prison, I just found it sad that they officially recognize whatever horrifying things go on.

Cadence

Post by Cadence » 13 May 2010, 15:48

I can count the blood I have donated in gallons. I always promote it to everyone when the opportunity arises. I figure some day I may need some blood and I am sort of building up good will.
Faith, as well intentioned as it may be, must be built on facts, not fiction--faith in fiction is a damnable false hope. Thomas A. Edison

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” Neil deGrasse Tyson

nightwalden

Post by nightwalden » 13 May 2010, 21:15

SamBee wrote:
I had a couple transfusions as a kid and I have O- blood so I try to donate as regularly as possible. I know so many people that are ineligible to donate so I feel a responsibility to do it because I can.
They ban people who have had blood transfusions here from giving blood.

I think it was to do with hepatitis scans.
They screen all blood before they use it. There is a waiting period after receiving a transfusion before you can attempt to donate again.

Konvert Kid

Post by Konvert Kid » 13 May 2010, 21:47

Special equipment is used that can seperate red blood cells, plasma or platelets. The amount of blood taken is replaced. There are no side effects.

The Apheresis Donation Process: Safe and Easy Similar to a whole blood donation, an aphersis donation consists of four steps: registration, health history and mini-physical, donation, and refreshments. From registration to refreshments, the process lasts 1½ -2½ hours. During the actual donation, you will sit in a comfortable recliner, and a carefully monitored machine will draw blood from one arm through sterile tubing into a cell separator centrifuge. The blood stays inside the self-contained sterile tubing and never comes in contact with the machine. After the blood component(s) have been collected, the rest of the blood is returned to the donor through the same arm or the other arm. It's a safe process — the collection sets and needles are sterile, used once for each donor and then discarded. Donors usually relax, read, or enjoy a movie during the donation. Go to http://www.givelife2.org/donor/apheresis.asp for more information! donation of platelets is the same as 5 units of whole blood. Hope this helps.