Are Tattoos Taboos?

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
Heber13
Site Admin

Re: Are Tattoos Taboos?

Post by Heber13 » 28 Apr 2010, 14:12

just me wrote:Lev. 19:28 Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves. I am the Lord.

Of course, this is part of the Law of Moses. Unless someone plans to live the entire law, I wouldn't be too concerned about it. Here is the law right above the tattoo prohibition: 27 Do not cut the hair at the sides of your head or clip off the edges of your beard.
Oh, Leviticus...such wonderful reading. :P

I can imagine the friendly sermon on the Sabbath with a group of devout followers.
Ok, everyone. Please quiet down. Today we'd like to talk about a few things that maybe you should consider not doing.
V.27, don't cut your side burns or your beard.
v.28 Don't cut your flesh or put ink on your skin (tattoos)

...and let's see, what else... oh yea...
v.29 Don't prostitute out your daughter
:o :shock:

those are kinda all in the same realm of some things you should avoid. :?
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 28 Apr 2010, 14:30

There is one school of thought that thinks that circumcision was a relic of ritual scarification as found in many primitive tribes. Jesus himself had this done to him remember. I heard a story of a Jew joking that he didn't want tattoos, since he didn't need any more for that precise reason.

Circumcision, scarification, tattooing, even the Mark of the Beast (which some have down as the dhoti) are all aspects of the same kind of idea.

You can even get "braille" tattoos now.
http://www.technovelgy.com/ct/Science-F ... wsNum=1259
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

PressingForward

Post by PressingForward » 28 Apr 2010, 15:16

Very interesting... so then it is not necessarily a matter of scripture, but a matter of culture and personal preference over each person's own interpretation of scripture? (whoa, thats fully loaded, and hopefully can be deciphered.. lol) One of those things thats not right or wrong? Maybe I should cut my husband some slack? lol..