GA Quotes Encouraging Spouses to Not Leave Disbelievers

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.

GA Quotes Encouraging Spouses to Not Leave Disbelievers

Post by johndehlin » 08 Mar 2010, 05:30

Hey! I could really use some help if any of you have a few minutes.

I get spouses regularly who ask me, "Should I leave my spouse since they no longer believe?"

Are any of ya'll aware of, or willing to help me find, GA Quotes encouraging spouses to not leave their disbelieving spouses purely for disbelieving?

This could really help a lot of people.

Thanks in advance.

Re: GA Quotes Encouraging Spouses to Not Leave Disbelievers

Post by nightwalden » 08 Mar 2010, 11:46

There are some Ensign articles that address the issue but the articles are not by GAs. I think there is an implied stamp of approval from the leaders of the church when something is published in the Ensign. Some of the stuff in the articles is condescending but there are some good parts too. I think it will be a difficult task to find real GA quotes on the subject because this kind of advice is of a more private nature than public. ... 82620aRCRD ... 82620aRCRD ... 82620aRCRD ... 82620aRCRD

I especially liked what the last link says about D&C 42:22.
Your spouse is the only person other than the Lord whom you have been commanded to love with all your heart (see D&C 42:22). Remember that the Lord has said, “Thou shalt love thy wife with all thy heart, and shalt cleave unto her and none else” (D&C 42:22). The phrase “none else” teaches that no person, activity, or possession should ever take precedence over your relationship with your spouse.

just me

Post by just me » 08 Mar 2010, 12:37

1 Cor 7:13-16 13 And the woman which hath an husband that believeth not, and if he be pleased to dwell with her, let her not leave him.
14 For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified by the husband: else were your children unclean; but now are they holy.
15 But if the unbelieving depart, let him depart. A brother or a sister is not under bondage in such cases: but God hath called us to peace.
16 For what knowest thou, O wife, whether thou shalt save thy husband? or how knowest thou, O man, whether thou shalt save thy wife?
How 'bout a scripture quote? This is actually thanks to a NOM forum member.
Most of us, sooner or later, find that at critical points in our lives we must strike out on our own to make a path where none exists.~Elaine Pagels

Ultimately, you are the path-the path begins and ends with you.~Stephan Bodian

He who think he knows, doesn’t know: He who knows he doesn’t know, knows.~Sanskrit proverb

Site Admin

Post by Orson » 08 Mar 2010, 13:04

I have never heard of an "official" recommendation for divorce - solely for disbelief.
James E. Faust, “Enriching Your Marriage,” Liahona, Apr 2007, 2–6:

Divorce can be justified only in the rarest of circumstances. In my opinion, “just cause” for divorce should be nothing less serious than a prolonged and apparently irredeemable relationship that destroys a person’s dignity as a human being.
In my opinion struggling marriages should always seek counseling, no matter what the specific problem. I have heard of "disbelief" problems that contribute to the "destruction of a person's dignity as a human being" when the disbelieving spouse won't let up on the insults toward the church and all believers. I hope such situations are far from the norm. I think most situations can me moderated over time with active counseling and a focus on the marriage. Respect for the individual (running both ways) has to be at the core of any successful marriage.

Obviously the opposite situation is also possible - where the believing spouse won't let up on the disbeliever.

Sorry I don't know of any more specific quotes on the subject. I would love to see some direct comments, I think they could help save some marriages.
My avatar - both physical and spiritual.

I first found faith, and thought I had all truth. I then discovered doubt, and claimed a more accurate truth. Now I’ve greeted paradox and a deeper truth than I have ever known.

Brian Johnston
Site Admin

Post by Brian Johnston » 10 Mar 2010, 06:33

I was thinking of the Corinthians scripture too, but that's about it. I can't recall conference talks or anything that seems to rise to a high level of official-ness. I have a gut feeling that privately, most authorities would not recommend divorce simply for unbelief in the spouse.

I've heard of a few rare circumstances where local leaders crossed appropriate boundaries and allegedly moved spouses out of the house to "protect" them, and perhaps encouraged divorce.

The whole idea to me of divorcing (abandoning) a spouse over that issue faith seems so against everything we learn about God and the atonement of Jesus Christ. God doesn't abandon me if I lose faith. Jesus Christ doesn't run away from the unbelievers, abandoning them because they won't believe. It's the exact opposite.
"It's strange to be here. The mystery never leaves you alone." -John O'Donohue, Anam Cara, speaking of experiencing life.

Post by Alfie » 10 Mar 2010, 09:59

I recall a talk or Ensign article by Boyd K. Packer from many years ago, maybe the late 70's or early 80's. He was addressing members who had an inactive spouse, not necessarily a spouse who had been active and then lost faith. But his message was to never give up, and to show an increase of love and respect for the inactive spouse. It was helpful to me at the time.