Love and Fear

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Re: Love and Fear

Post by Curt Sunshine » 14 Mar 2010, 00:40

But, in this process, she has overcome all fear. She is so infinitely certain, that all of her fears are gone. And, having come from a broken home, abusive mother, abusive husband, etc., she has had to deal with alot of fear.
God bless her. May nobody ever challenge her certainty out of a misguided or arrogant belief that she simply must see nuances. If black-and-white works for her, praise be to God for allowing her to find it.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

findingmyownfooting

Post by findingmyownfooting » 14 Mar 2010, 11:44

Cadence wrote: The very ironic thing for me is that when I was more devout it was because of fear. But now that I am more liberated in my belief I operate much more out of love.
Sorry I didn't have the time to read through all the responses but this statement kind of hit home for me. Today I went to church with a note pad and jotted down some of my thoughts while listening to the lessons. Before when I was a TBM I went because it was my duty, now I go because I want to see what I can get out of it. I've done that many times before as a TBM but there was something different this time. It was a decision I made on my own this time. I think having a more liberated belief allows you to have the freedom to be who you want to be and not who you are told to be. I believe this motivation has healthier outcomes.
Religion has the power to use the amazing abilities of our mind. When a person truly believes the act of practising something will bring them happiness then putting into practise that belief WILL bring them happiness.

Euhemerus

Post by Euhemerus » 14 Mar 2010, 14:28

I really liked Ray's comment. There is certainly a difference between desiring something and doing something out of fear, and I agree that this argument has been worn out by those who oppose religions.

However, I feel I must try to see their side of the coin too. In the past religions have twisted these sorts of rewards that someone might strive for into tools of manipulation, even moving into priestcraft, bribery, and blackmail. In Mormonism, I don't see this sort of thing, but I must confess that I have met my fair share of Mormons in Happy Valley who do things out of fear. Most of the fear I saw in Happy Valley was fear of how righteous or unrighteous one would appear to others. This sort of fear has absolutely nothing to do with the doctrines of the Gospel, and little to do with the church itself. It has everything to do with human pride, envy, and culture though.
Don't believe everything you think
- bumper sticker I saw one day

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 14 Mar 2010, 19:04

I agree, Eu. Tithing as fire insurance is something I really don't like - both because I think it's just wrong and because it is fear-based. We have our share of things that are fear-based due to incorrect application, but I think we've done a pretty good job institutionally of elmininating fear-based foci in our "theology".
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Cadence

Post by Cadence » 14 Mar 2010, 20:31

findingmyownfooting wrote: I think having a more liberated belief allows you to have the freedom to be who you want to be and not who you are told to be. I believe this motivation has healthier outcomes.
+1
Faith, as well intentioned as it may be, must be built on facts, not fiction--faith in fiction is a damnable false hope. Thomas A. Edison

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” Neil deGrasse Tyson