Being Muzzled!

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.

Re: Being Muzzled!

Post by Heber13 » 01 Feb 2010, 11:35

I like the teachers that prepare the material and get the lesson objective across as described in the manual. If their material is brought from other sources, I'm ok with it if it gets the objective across. If the material is changing the message or adding unnecessary detail...maybe it should be avoided.

I don't usually get as much from teachers who try to go off on their own tangents and find "new" material we've never heard of to make it interesting. That's when they get away from the purpose of the lesson.

I think the warning from church leaders shouldn't be about what material to use, but what message we are trying to teach. Keep the lesson the the doctrine and on point, and use personal revelation (impressions) on how to present it.

I also love it when teachers don't try to answer all questions, but boomerang it back to ask the class what they think, or just encourage people to study on their own for their own interpretations of things. The teacher doesn't have to be the most knowledgeable of the class.
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

Post by bridget_night » 01 Feb 2010, 11:38

Thanks Everyone for all your comments. It always gives me perspective!! I wish we could all meet some day and have a big party!

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 01 Feb 2010, 13:37

Oh, and having said what I said, I also promised my Primary kids each time I taught that I would teach them something from the lesson each week that their older siblings (and maybe even their parents) didn't know.

They LOVED that - and it wasn't all that hard. :o
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

Tom Haws

Post by Tom Haws » 01 Feb 2010, 14:30

I love it! Great going, Ray!
Tom (aka Justin Martyr/Justin Morning/Jacob Marley/Kupord Maizzed)
Higley and Guadalupe
Gilbert, Arizona
Sure, any religion would do. But I'm LDS.
"There are no academic issues. Everything is emotional to somebody." Ray Degraw at