My name is Jack. I am a Mormon.

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
George

My name is Jack. I am a Mormon.

Post by George » 19 Jan 2010, 19:26

I have a friend with a crisis. A decade ago he joined the church because he loved his wife, who was a member. They were a couple who found each other late in life. I knew them for two reasons. I also loved his wife and dated her for years. We never considered marriage though, Sandy was very high strung, while I am a quiet Native American man. We both knew it would never work.

As luck would have it, I was assigned to be their home teacher. It was a bit difficult, but we three soon grew to love and appreciate each other. Jack didn't really buy into the church. He probably has attended maybe a dozen times in ten years. Two years ago, he lost Sandy. I was there for him (and for myself). I raged inside when her funeral turned into a "Plan of Salvation," knowing Sandy would have been appalled that her non-member family & friends had to sit through Mormon preaching. I have continued to be a good friend to Jack though (one of my son's lives across the street).

Recently Jack was called in by his bishop. He went, because he respects the office. The bishop said he must prepare himself for both the priesthood and the temple, to be sealed to Sandy. Jack called me shortly afterwards. He was so upset. He fully believes that he will see Sandy again, along with all his loved ones. He doesn't want to be ordained or do temple worship. He is aged & ill. He loves the memory of his wife. He asked my counsel. What I told him you may not agree with, but I told him AFTER his death, there were those who would see a sealing was done for them. I told him to relax and to dream of Sandy while napping and to smell the roses she planted in the yard.

I don't live in the ward now. I gave advice as a long-time friend. I feel comfortable with it. Am I in danger of hellfire?
Last edited by George on 20 Jan 2010, 22:33, edited 5 times in total.

Brian Johnston
Site Admin

Re: My name is Jack. I am a Mormon.

Post by Brian Johnston » 19 Jan 2010, 20:46

George wrote:I told him to relax and to dream of Sandy while napping and to smell the roses she planted in the yard.

<SNIP> I feel comfortable with it. Am I in danger of hellfire?
Wow ... what a beautiful image of comfort for a friend. Hellfire? *shrug* I don't think you are in danger of anything if you help a man, a friend, with a dream like that about a woman he loves and misses.

Your friend should do what he thinks is right and important for him. That's the best any of us can do.
"It's strange to be here. The mystery never leaves you alone." -John O'Donohue, Anam Cara, speaking of experiencing life.

hawkgrrrl
Site Admin

Post by hawkgrrrl » 19 Jan 2010, 22:34

I think your advice was kind and appropriate to the situation. I also question some of the "brother's keeper" notions that some have. In the Cain / Abel story, when Cain asks sarcastically if he is his brother's keeper, God doesn't answer. I think that leaves room for multiple interpretation. I would hope that when I am aged and ill that someone will fill my head with comfort and love, not fear and duty.

mormonheretic
Site Admin

Post by mormonheretic » 20 Jan 2010, 21:27

George, there was nothing wrong with your advice. I think you're a valuable friend to Jack.

George

Post by George » 20 Jan 2010, 22:30

My concern of course, lies in the fact that I gave a different option to Jack, in direct opposition to his Bishop's counsel. I spoke as one old codger to another, rather than a priesthood leader. I saw Sandy and Jack as a "sealed" deal from the day they met, expressed in love, acceptance and laughter. The temple sealing formality? Yea, maybe after their sweet reunion on that beautiful shore.....

Peaceandjoy

Post by Peaceandjoy » 21 Jan 2010, 08:05

I spoke as one old codger to another, rather than a priesthood leader. I saw Sandy and Jack as a "sealed" deal from the day they met, expressed in love, acceptance and laughter. The temple sealing formality? Yea, maybe after their sweet reunion on that beautiful shore.....
Beautiful!

mormonmom

Post by mormonmom » 07 Feb 2010, 07:57

I think your response was fine.