"Counsel to the Church"

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
George

"Counsel to the Church"

Post by George » 19 Jan 2010, 18:11

Stephen Veazey, Prophet-President of the Community of Christ church (formerly the Reorganized LDS church) gave "inspired counsel" to his church on January 17th. It is considered a revelation, although it must be voted upon at a General Conference (to be held in April).

President Veazey, made several important changes. He revealed that original baptisms, either Catholic or Protestant, are good enough for membership in the CofC church. The person joining would simply be reconfirmed in the CofC church. Veazey's second change revealed any Christian can partake of the sacrament of the CofC church, by simply approaching the table in humility.

I thought it was certainly a turn toward mainstreaming for those JS followers. I wondered if our church will eventually consider such changes. President Veazey had much more to say. The "counsel" can be found at the CofC website. It's an interesting read...

Brian Johnston
Site Admin

Re: "Counsel to the Church"

Post by Brian Johnston » 19 Jan 2010, 20:49

I don't see the LDS sect of Mormonism making a change like that anytime soon. Interesting changes for CoC though. I think it would take a very different and more universal evolution in the culture of the LDS Church to go that direction. Who knows? I can't say it's impossible.
"It's strange to be here. The mystery never leaves you alone." -John O'Donohue, Anam Cara, speaking of experiencing life.

MapleLeaf

Post by MapleLeaf » 19 Jan 2010, 22:27

While I certainly do not see this as a negative change, I do see it as presenting a potential conflict with the fourth article of faith written by Joseph Smith. "Third, baptism by immersion for the remission of sins..." Will this change now validate baptism by sprinkling, as is commonly practiced in the Roman Catholic Church?

The Community of Christ seems to have made a few changes which align it more with the protestant denominations, and this one appears to do likewise. Many protestant denominations view baptism as a symbolic but non-essential ordinance. I'm with you, Brian, in predicting that the LDS will not make such a change, based on their deeply-entrenched doctrines of baptism as an essential ordinance. Baptism for the dead would be out of business!
"If you wish to see the truth then hold no opinions for or against anything. To set up what you like against what you dislike is the disease of the mind." -Chien-chih Seng-ts'an, Zen Buddhist [606 AD]

hawkgrrrl
Site Admin

Post by hawkgrrrl » 19 Jan 2010, 22:31

If I were in the CoC, I'd vote against this one on the principle that LDS theology rejects involuntary (infant) baptism. Accepting other anabaptists (adult baptizers) is one thing, but accepting infant baptism from competing Christian sects is a pretty radical departure, not just from authority (which the LDS church would have a major issue with) but from theoloogy.

George

Post by George » 19 Jan 2010, 23:31

I've gone back and reread the "Counsel" again. Veazey doesn't mention adult (as verses infant) baptism. However, he does make reference to having humility and acceptance of Christ. Therefore, I may have misunderstood his "Counsel." Perhaps infant baptisms would have to be done again. It just doesn't seem clear. Their General Conference should be interesting this year, since Veazey seems to also speak of CofC leadership in same gender relationships. Again though, not clear. I suggest everyone read "Counsel" and decide for themselves. I don't wish to be a false witness.

Tom Haws

Post by Tom Haws » 20 Jan 2010, 07:40

What a beautiful story, George.
Tom (aka Justin Martyr/Justin Morning/Jacob Marley/Kupord Maizzed)
Higley and Guadalupe
Gilbert, Arizona
----
Sure, any religion would do. But I'm LDS.
"There are no academic issues. Everything is emotional to somebody." Ray Degraw at www.StayLDS.com

mormonheretic
Site Admin

Post by mormonheretic » 20 Jan 2010, 21:30

My CoC friend FireTag wrote a guest post at Mormon Matters on this topic. See http://mormonmatters.org/2010/01/20/coc ... e-baptism/

Apparently they still believe in an age of accountability, so infant baptisms are still out.