Acronyms & Terms Common to the Mormon Internet

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
Just A Girl

Re: Acronyms & Terms Common to the Mormon Internet

Post by Just A Girl »

This helps a whole lot! I keep seeing these acronyms and thinking "what in the world does that even mean?"

Thanks for this! :clap:
My Introduction:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6060

I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination. -Jimmy Dean
taletotell

Post by taletotell »

And what about FC?
nibbler

Post by nibbler »

Faith Crisis

You'll also see FT on this site. Faith Transition.
I kept a diary right after I was born. Day 1: Tired from the move. Day 2: Everyone thinks I'm an idiot.
— Steven Wright
taletotell

Post by taletotell »

Thanks.
tblue

Post by tblue »

The most comprehensive site I found for the acronyms is:

http://www.cc.utah.edu/~nahaj/Mormon/

It has a lengthy list that gave me a base that I add to, as needed.

Please Note: The author attempts to be 'balanced' and offers a few derogatory terms of anti-Mormons. However, there is much more info that is useful for Mormon investigation, like the Bibliography and explanation of Mormon terms.

"No, there is no copyright notice here. What's the point? If someone can make millions publishing it, fine... They are brighter than I am. If you find this information useful, you are welcome to include it in other documents. I prefer credit be given, but don't require it."

Maybe parts of this document could be pinned and added to when appropriate? It was far more time-consuming to find abbreviations/acronyms and explanations than I originally expected it to be.

There is also a book called:

The A to Z of Mormonism
By Davis Bitton, Thomas G. Alexander

http://books.google.com/books?id=br8dke ... &q&f=false

It has a Google Books excerpt and I particularly liked the Chronology of Mormonism. It also offers a dictionary of terms.

This is my first post and I'll aim to provide an introductory post later this afternoon. :)

tblue
NightSG

Post by NightSG »

mom3 wrote:VikingCompass - DH and DW are Dear Husband and Dear Wife. I like Designated Hitter, though. :clap:
Well, if she'd brought him that sandwich like she was told...
ydeve

Post by ydeve »

The linked site is now offline.
SamBee

Post by SamBee »

NightSG wrote:
mom3 wrote:VikingCompass - DH and DW are Dear Husband and Dear Wife. I like Designated Hitter, though. :clap:
Well, if she'd brought him that sandwich like she was told...
Designated Hitler?
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."
LookingHard

Post by LookingHard »

For some reason this just reminded me of one of my favorite jokes about is the glass half full that I saw on a t-shirt. And any regulars here know I have a burning testimony of humor - I will even say that I KNOW I like humor.

Here is the link, but I don't know if the hawkgrrrl character in "real" life has laser eyes that can burn someone when they anger her. I suspect I will find out when hawkgrrrl reads the "sexists" one. I would comment that hawkgrrrl (or any other woman) could wear this t-shirt and "honeybun" could refer to DH (yes - "DH" is how I am tying this into this thread - yeah - that's the ticket).

SamBee

Post by SamBee »

Capitalist - You can have this glass of water if you work for me for ten hours or bring me three other glasses of water.
Anarchist - Smash the glass, set the water free.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."