Acronyms & Terms Common to the Mormon Internet

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
Brian Johnston

Acronyms & Terms Common to the Mormon Internet

Post by Brian Johnston »

Mormons have their own peculiar lingo at church. Just like in the real world, the virtual world of Mormons on the internet has its own set of acronyms, abbreviations and special terms. I am listing two good references here for people who want to look them up.

Short list posted at New Order Mormon: http://forum.newordermormon.org/viewtopic.php?t=7468
"It's strange to be here. The mystery never leaves you alone." -John O'Donohue, Anam Cara, speaking of experiencing life.
JAHS

Re: Acronyms & Terms Common to the Mormon Internet

Post by JAHS »

RULDS?

I read the BofM,
I study the D&C,
I peruse the KJV,
back it up with JST.
My son's at BYU,
at the MTC,
They used to call it LTM
when I was young like he.
I collected for SME,
while in the BSA.
My wife who's in RS,
teaches YM/YW in MIA.
Today in BYC,
We planned for EFY.
I stayed a little later,
and had a HT PPI.
I listened to some MoTab,
I found at the DI.
then I washed my Gs,
after FHE we had pie.
Now if you've understood,
this alphabetic mess.
Chances are quite good,
that you are LDS.
Poppyseed

Post by Poppyseed »

Well, this just goes to show that it isn't LDS unless it has an acronym! :D
“Be not afraid of growing slowly; be afraid only of standing still.” --old Chinese proverb
jeriboy

Post by jeriboy »

“Be not afraid of growing slowly; be afraid only of standing still.” --old Chinese proverb

What about those of us who have it stuck in reverse?
Poppyseed

Post by Poppyseed »

jeriboy wrote:“Be not afraid of growing slowly; be afraid only of standing still.” --old Chinese proverb

What about those of us who have it stuck in reverse?
:D ummm.....Watch out for cliffs?
Katzpur

Post by Katzpur »

Seriously, I appreciated this info, and especially the list from the New Order Mormon link. I was just about to admit that I had given up on knowing what a TBM was and admit my ignorance when I saw this thread.
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." ~Rudyard Kipling ~
Konvert Kid

Post by Konvert Kid »

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You Thank You, Thank You,
As a new member this is a life saver.
Thank You
Konvert Kid
SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning »

A term, while not uniquely Mormon that I wave not been able to find defined on the Internet is "low" -- Ray uses it a lot and I still don't know what it means...
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

A man asked Jesus "do all roads lead to you?" Jesus responds,”most roads don’t lead anywhere, but I will travel any road to find you.” Adapted from The Shack, William Young

"The wise man has the power" -- adapted from What A Fool Believes -- The Doobie Brothers
doug

Post by doug »

SilentDawning wrote:A term, while not uniquely Mormon that I wave not been able to find defined on the Internet is "low" -- Ray uses it a lot and I still don't know what it means...
It's an "I". "IOW" = in other words.
The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also. -- Mark Twain
deancatcat

Post by deancatcat »

What happened to MST? Or BMW? I was told about the MST when we first went to church 10 years ago and everyone was late, including the bishops wife and kids. Then when I was told everyone had BMW's I was like what is that? Big Mormon Wagon. So all three of our cars: small commuter toyota echo with license plates SMW4LDS - small mormon wagon 4 LDS, our medium size car has MMW4 LDS and the SUV BMW4LDS. Yep, my husband loves it. :) LOL.
deancatcat