Whatsoever is more or less than this cometh of evil

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
MWallace57

Re: Whatsoever is more or less than this cometh of evil

Post by MWallace57 » 19 Jan 2010, 09:38

This is a sample of a tradition common to some cultures:

Coins and Gift Giving
In some Islamic and Central American cultures, the groom giving the bride money during the ceremony is a symbol of his promise to care for and financially support her. Check with your tradition for the specifics on what types of coins and how and when they are given. In Filipino weddings, Grooms traditionally give Brides 13 gold coins, called arias, signifying their promise to materially support their family, during the wedding ceremony.

http://www.interfaithofficiants.com/Des ... tuals.html

(My nephew married a young Filipino sister)

These may be beautiful traditions, but do they belong in the Temple? This is my point about certain masonic oaths.

just me

Post by just me » 19 Jan 2010, 13:38

I don't think my continuing to post on this thread will add to the spirit of this forum, so I am going to limit myself to one last observation.

The Kirtland Temple was open to the public. It appears that the Nauvoo Temple was also originally intended for public worship services. Something changed.

I wish that wedding ceremonies were public. I do think it is a shame they were made private. I don't know what we can do about it other than gently letting our leaders know that we would be pleased with a change that allowed for ALL family and friends to be involved in the marriage ceremony.
Most of us, sooner or later, find that at critical points in our lives we must strike out on our own to make a path where none exists.~Elaine Pagels

Ultimately, you are the path-the path begins and ends with you.~Stephan Bodian

He who think he knows, doesn’t know: He who knows he doesn’t know, knows.~Sanskrit proverb

Peaceandjoy

Post by Peaceandjoy » 19 Jan 2010, 17:41

My mom who is Catholic said, "I don't understand why we can't come to your weddings, are we not good enough"??? When I told her they were for time and all eternity, she said, "I've always know that when I die, I will see your dad and be with him forever". So simple and lovely!