Male vs. Female

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
swimordie

Male vs. Female

Post by swimordie » 11 Jan 2010, 23:33

I don't know if it matters but...

Men and women process intellectual, emotional, and spiritual things differently. The moderators on this board are pre-dominantly male but it seems that the participants here are pretty equally male and female.

I wonder if there's any role that gender plays in the process of disaffection??
Perfectionism hasn't served me. I think I am done with it. -Poppyseed

Brian Johnston
Site Admin

Re: Male vs. Female

Post by Brian Johnston » 12 Jan 2010, 09:11

I don't personally think the moderators have that much influence over the discussion beyond the fact that most with that organizational label happen to be active participants. We don't have to do very much moderation beyond guiding new people occasionally with tips on formatting or tone. I would say about 1 or 2 new users a month post something we think needs some tweaking to fit the mission of the site (which is held by the system from public view until approved). They often don't reply so the post never makes it to the light of day. That and other small editorial actions add up to about 10 posts at most out of 1,000 per month on average being "moderated."

I am really happy there's a diverse range of people here. I love that.
"It's strange to be here. The mystery never leaves you alone." -John O'Donohue, Anam Cara, speaking of experiencing life.

LaLaLove

Post by LaLaLove » 12 Jan 2010, 14:19

I was nervous with Staylds at first because it seemed like there were more men posting and being introduced than women. It makes me so happy to hear from all the females here. Sometimes in Church women seem so dependent on the PH and RS and what not .. all the while I'm thinking .. "I don't get it, I don't need this stuff like they do". Even I have judged women in Church as being the sensitive, weaker sex when it came to thinking for themselves .. It was foolish of me to think that way but I did and I really love hearing from women on here .. makes me realize that I'm not the only woman pondering and questioning.

hawkgrrrl
Site Admin

Post by hawkgrrrl » 12 Jan 2010, 14:32

Also, I may be the lone female mod, but I think I can take 'em. ;)

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 12 Jan 2010, 19:00

Also, I may be the lone female mod, but I think I can take 'em.
No argument from me on that one!!

Fwiw, I was raised with 5 sisters (and a mother), and I have 4 daughters (and a wife) - so I've been swimming in the estrogen ocean for a long time.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

just me

Post by just me » 12 Jan 2010, 20:17

I've pondered this before.

I think gender may play a small role in our online presence because of the gender roles we typically play as members of the church. I believe that many young mothers are so busy with the rearing of little children that they aren't in a place where they can spend time researching the gospel or talking about it as much online.

I could totally be wrong!!!

But, it seems that a lot of men have jobs that enable them to frequent the forums. It is more difficult with a bunch of toddlers.

Okay, there, I totally just stereotyped.
Most of us, sooner or later, find that at critical points in our lives we must strike out on our own to make a path where none exists.~Elaine Pagels

Ultimately, you are the path-the path begins and ends with you.~Stephan Bodian

He who think he knows, doesn’t know: He who knows he doesn’t know, knows.~Sanskrit proverb

Peaceandjoy

Post by Peaceandjoy » 13 Jan 2010, 11:57

Just me
You are so right. I had problems with issues in the church all the time while raising my girls, but I didn't have time to really think about it until after they were raised and had more time on my hands.

hawkgrrrl
Site Admin

Post by hawkgrrrl » 15 Jan 2010, 22:06

just me - stereotype may be right in this case as I'm not a SAHM.