Is Sacrament Meeting being held anywhere but Utah?

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
DarkJedi

Re: Is Sacrament Meeting being held anywhere but Utah?

Post by DarkJedi » 28 Jun 2020, 04:59

My job also has some rules/concerns which is another consideration for me. We are screened at the door each day, and we're not exempt from the recently enacted quarantine rules when traveling to certain states. I don't want to risk exposing myself and thus our clientele.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

LookingHard

Post by LookingHard » 28 Jun 2020, 06:08

We had the ward split into 3rds, with max 50 people signing up on their one of 3 rotating group signups. We got groups 1 and 2 to meet (less than 50) and then the SP put it all on hold given the surge in Covid cases in the area.

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 29 Jun 2020, 11:12

I will admit that I had a bad dream (I can't call it a nightmare because I didn't wake up screaming) that church restarted in my ward and I went to arrive and find the chapel packed (stake conference packed), many people not wearing masks, all of the old people there, and (gasp!) they were singing. I had a momentary conundrum, what with my wife there and all, but after deciding what to do I left. That's when I woke up, sorry I don't know the outcome beyond that. (The dream did not include marshmallows or partaking the sacrament and my pillow was fine. :P )

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Minyan Man

Post by Minyan Man » 29 Jun 2020, 13:03

DJ, you made me laugh out loud. Thank you. I needed that.

HazyShadeofFall

Post by HazyShadeofFall » 30 Jun 2020, 00:21

I'm in Alberta, and my ward met in person for the first time last Sunday. About 40 people in total came. We're meeting in a larger building than our regular building with a lot of precautions. No singing, entrance and exits on opposite sides of the building, every other pew blocked off, no meetings other than sacrament meeting, no carpooling with people outside your household unless absolutely necessary. Masks weren't mandatory, though, and I wish they were. There was a box of disposable ones at the entrance, and almost everyone wore a mask, but a few didn't.

I've struggled a lot with the sacrament these last few months. The irony is that in supplying my own bread and water, it was the most involved I've ever been and likely ever will be in preparing the sacrament, but I also had next to no control over when I could take it. It was rarely a reminder of Christ and often a reminder of inequality. This week I cried with happiness when I took the sacrament. It started with a hymn (just played on the organ since singing is banned), which I had sorely missed. And for the first time in almost 4 months it didn't matter that I'm a woman and that I don't live with a priesthood-bearing man. For the first time in almost 4 months I had the same access as the elder's quorum president and the bishop's wife and my friends who live with their parents. There is still plenty of inequality and I don't mean to sweep it under the rug. But I was so happy that finally, once again, the sacrament was a sweet moment instead of a bitter one.

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 30 Jun 2020, 06:12

It is too bad that masks weren't required Hazy. I have come to believe that masks are one of the most important things we can do after having been ambivalent about them at first.

I also recognize that the home church experience has not been the same for all of us and I hope that the leadership ("the Church") also recognizes that, particularly the disparity. It would follow that since the home church experience has not been the same for everyone, the chapel church experience is also not the same for everyone - another important recognition.

If you had asked a few weeks ago I would have projected church starting here this week. That's not happening and I don't see it happening for at least another couple weeks.

My Introduction

LookingHard

Post by LookingHard » 01 Jul 2020, 13:38

As I mentioned, in my stake they were splitting the ward into 3rd and having 1/3 of the ward come for a quick meeting. Our family was set for the 2nd week. I didn't feel comfortable going given the description that our bishop had sent out. But my wife went and it seems they were doing about all they could do (masks required, no singing, Mel. Priesthood blessing the sacrament with gloves and makes, sac bread passed out in cups and a "collection" tray for returning cups, all cups spread out on the tray, door openers). So I might have gone if all that was explained.

But before they could do week 3 they shut it down for now as the numbers locally were very worrisome.

And DJ's dream reminded me of a dream after my wife had gone to church the previous Sunday. Then we had gone to a "HS graduation" open house and then a wedding reception late last week and nobody was wearing masks except me and my wife. I didn't stay long at either spot. But on Saturday morning I woke up from a dream where I attended church and it was all screwed up (go tear a bit of bread off a big loaf yourself for sacrament, zero masks, everyone hugging and laughing and shaking hands). I woke up panicking. I had just mentioned to my wife a week or so before that I couldn't remember any dreams for many years. I think she realized even more that I am much more worried about getting Covid than she seems to be and it isn't just I don't feel like going to church (not saying that isn't true, but no church has been WONDERFUL to me).

Gerald

Post by Gerald » 03 Jul 2020, 04:55

Our ward isn't meeting yet and, as far as I know, there aren't plans to meet immediately. My daughter lives in Orem and they are meeting but they have the ward split into fourths (by last name) and you come one Sunday a month and the meeting is primarily about taking the sacrament. Given recent surges in COVID 19 I doubt that my local ward will be meeting but I'm not really privy to those discussions.
So through the dusk of dead, blank-legended And unremunerative years we search to get where life begins, and still we groan because we do not find the living spark where no spark ever was; and thus we die, still searching, like poor old astronomers who totter off to bed and go to sleep, to dream of untriangulated stars.
---Edwin Arlington Robinson---