Achievement Day Fun - Not Spiritual

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
AmyJ

Achievement Day Fun - Not Spiritual

Post by AmyJ » 07 Nov 2019, 06:25

Hi guys,
This is a non-heavy post about the Achievement Day activity I co-ran last night for our 6 girls.

We hollowed out pumpkins/squash and experimented with adding white vinegar, dish soap, and baking soda to create a fizzing foam.

The girls were able to cut a hole in their pumpkins (with assistance) and asked all kinds of questions/experimented with different ratios (the leaders controlled the actual dispersal of ingredients though).

We also got in some practical advice about being educated when combining chemicals to control reactions - citing the severity of bleach & ammonia.

NOTE: Cleanup was made easier by creating a plastic trash bag "nest" for the pumpkins first.

Roy

Re: Achievement Day Fun - Not Spiritual

Post by Roy » 07 Nov 2019, 13:43

That sounds wonderful … and very messy. Good for you for planning such an ambitious activity.

Do I understand correctly that activity days goes away at the end of the year?
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

AmyJ

Post by AmyJ » 07 Nov 2019, 14:21

The mess was contained :lol:

I don't think that it goes away. I think that the church units gain greater flexibility about when to hold them, and the budgets might get some reallocation. I think it becomes more child-driven (setting goals and all that).

We are already planning on having a meeting with the girls to figure out what kinds of things they may want to do at some point after the November 17th fireside and before February 1st.

A Moment that Restored My Faith in Humanity
My daughter was having a hard time cutting into her pumpkin (and would not let either of us help her). In her very frenzied, independent way, she was asking/demanding that we hold up the activity so she could be one of the first for the experiment. In a fit of frustration, she blurted out in front of all the girls something along the lines of the other girls would hate her if she didn't get her pumpkin cut up in time with the rest of them. I was watching several of the girls - and their faces froze for a second in horror before there was a chorus of "We won't/can't hate you's".

I might be reading it wrong (non-verbals are not my thing per se), but it looked to me like they were horrified by the idea that my daughter would think that they could hate her - and that they wouldn't feel that way over a mere pumpkin.

Roy

Post by Roy » 07 Nov 2019, 14:41

That is heart warming. I love that you were there to witness this show of support for your daughter.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 07 Nov 2019, 20:19

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 08 Nov 2019, 07:04

Roy wrote:
07 Nov 2019, 13:43
Do I understand correctly that activity days goes away at the end of the year?
No, activity days don't go away and in fact are probably "enhanced" and/or more frequent compared to what most wards have been doing.

I actually hope activity days are more like what Amy has described as opposed to all "churchy" all the time. I could see how easily it would be to fall into the "churchy" trap with the goals and all - they could very easily evolve into another period of church instruction. I also wish that activity days were more co-ed, but that does not appear to be the plan. I currently have no skin in the game so I don;t care a lot, it's just that I think my kids would have had much more fun and would have been much more willing to go with an Amy activity as opposed to a churchy activity, and I think there's no reason to separate boys and girls of Primary age.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction