April, 2020 Conference

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
Katzpur

April, 2020 Conference

Post by Katzpur » 07 Oct 2019, 18:37

Anybody care to speculate on what President Nelson might have been getting at when he said, in his closing remarks of the Sunday afternoon session?

"General Conference next year will be different from any previous Conference." He said it will be a "unique Conference" that will "commemorate the very foundations of the restored gospel." April's Conference will be "memorable" and "unforgettable." I've been trying to imagine how one Conference could possibly be all that different from any others. Will it just be that every single talk is about the Restoration? Gosh, I hope not. To me, this seems like a lot of hype over what will essentially be a Conference no different from any other. What do you think?
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." ~Rudyard Kipling ~

AmyJ

Re: April, 2020 Conference

Post by AmyJ » 08 Oct 2019, 05:19

In my mind, I think that at least 2 of sessions will change - 1 to a pre-programmed Face-to-Face format in an important historical site, and 1 to more of an apostle testimony presentation like the one about Jesus Christ.

But I will be the first to admit that this is speculation on my part...

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 08 Oct 2019, 06:00

I had intended to start a post about this as well, thanks for doing it (yesterday was crazy at work and I was beat when I got home).

I have some real concerns about that part of his talk and it's one of those little things that bug me but there are several little components as to why it bugs me. I also wonder how can GC be all that different or unique? Showing my age, but I do recall when GC was broadcast from the Peter Whitmer Farm (it wasn't all from there, basically Pres. Kimball's talk). Are we going to broadcast from the grove? Are all the talks going to be about the FV? (I more than hope not, I would dread that.)

The other biggest part of my apprehension is that I think we mostly make too much of a big deal out of the FV. Joseph rarely talked about and usually not voluntarily. The vast majority of early members didn't know about it, and even Oliver didn't know about it in the beginning. I think there's a widespread belief that Heavenly Father and Jesus were physically present in the grove, but Joseph never said it was anything other than a vision. Joseph also never explicitly identified them, although in the most known version he did heavily infer who they were. Joseph seemed to view the FV as a personal experience, and reading all of the accounts his main goal was not to ask which church to join. Rather it was him seeking forgiveness for his own sins (which he got - just like everybody else who asks God for forgiveness). It also bothers me a bit that Pres. Nelson specified which version of the story to read - the one in the PoGP. I would have loved it if he said to read all of them but it was almost as if that's exactly what he didn't want us to do.

I'm going to get off the soapbox and I'm going to try not to fret about this and/or dread it for the next six months. That may not be easy because I suspect he's not done talking about it.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 08 Oct 2019, 06:23

It will be hard to fill 10 hours of conference on the subject of the first vision... unless you dedicate one hour to each version of the first vision :P .

I shared my main concern in the other thread. With the way this was advertised I'm concerned that it will turn into an event with the goal of idolizing JS and his role in the restoration and that it will represent a large step backwards, a return to dominant narratives that are not true.
DarkJedi wrote:
08 Oct 2019, 06:00
I also wonder how can GC be all that different or unique?
The speculation is that one or more sessions will be broadcast from the sacred grove. Changing up the location doesn't make 10 hours of talks different enough for me to find exciting. Maybe it will be a second vision received by Nelson that paves the way for women to be ordained to offices in the PH.

If I had to guess, it will involve a new Disneyesque movie about the first vision that gets debuted during conference.

Time will tell.

Roy

Post by Roy » 08 Oct 2019, 09:21

President Nelson continues to fulfill on his promise to make things fresh and exciting. No matter what happens, it will be a departure from the same old - same old. :thumbup:
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

felixfabulous

Post by felixfabulous » 09 Oct 2019, 06:01

I have conflicting thoughts about this. I think it's great to switch it up and give people (especially youth) something new and interesting to look forward to. Even though my views on the FV have changed drastically, I think the idea of shared myth is powerful. With that in mind, I am curious how many people will go down the FV rabbit hole that otherwise would not have in preparation for the conference.

I predict a broadcast from the historic sites with something like each of the Q15 speaking from a different site and bearing their testimony.

SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning » 09 Oct 2019, 06:58

My Father In Law thought it would be broadcast from the Hill Cumorah since all the staging is there. But apparently that has been done.

Could it be broadcast from inside a new, undedicated temple? Could they use a different format with pre-recorded talks that are more like church videos from all different historical places, like Navoo, JS Homestead, Sacred Grove etcetera? Really knocking it out of the park?
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

A man asked Jesus "do all roads lead to you?" Jesus responds,”most roads don’t lead anywhere, but I will travel any road to find you.” Adapted from The Shack, William Young

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 09 Oct 2019, 12:31

Just FYI, that staging is not always there on the hill. They set it up before the pageant and take it down after. Plus planning something outside that time of year in the lake effect snow belt (where all the stuff is) is quite risky. Back in 1980 when they did GC from the Whitmer farm, a short piece was done from the reconstructed cabin and the rest was from the nearby (very small) meeting house AND it was one session - everybody else was in the tabernacle. That doesn't mean I couldn't see them doing something from the various sites, and I'd actually love it because I could go, but that "beautiful, clear day, early in the spring" of 1820 was probably not like all other spring days that year when snow is just as likely as rain and the average temp is still coat weather. Spring comes a bit later in this part of the world (compared to Utah).
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Heber13

Post by Heber13 » 11 Oct 2019, 10:42

I sure find differences at church on what people think is new and amazing. It is pretty relative. Some people are so immersed and swimming in the gospel view of the world...they think a small side-step is a major deal. Those outside the bubble see it as hardly a budget in any new direction.

I guess we'll wait to see. But my expectations are low.
DarkJedi wrote:
08 Oct 2019, 06:00
I also wonder how can GC be all that different or unique?
Right...how different can it be, right? But...maybe some differences will be there for those who love the drama.

What would be some good changes to conference to make it less mono-tone deliveries about vague gospel principles and LDS-Tab Choir songs?

Videos on Christ-centered teachings instead of speakers?
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

nibbler

Post by nibbler » 11 Oct 2019, 15:37

Heber13 wrote:
11 Oct 2019, 10:42
What would be some good changes to conference to make it less mono-tone deliveries about vague gospel principles and LDS-Tab Choir songs?
Yeah, 10 hours of people droning usually turns out to be 10 hours of people droning regardless of how you garnish it.

It would be easier to answer that if I knew what most members were looking for when they watch conference.

As a more orthodox believer I imagined conference was Christ's message to the world through his chosen prophets and apostles. Nowadays conference feels so insular. Establish what members should be believing. Lay out policy tweaks and name changes that are occurring within the organization. Reinforce the authority of the leaders. We cover lots of things during conference that are irrelevant unless you're a member of the church.

Maybe conference is more about giving members face time so they can feel a connection with the leaders? Maybe it's only to check the "I watched conference" box or to be the first to react to something on social media or to have something to say when members inevitably ask, "what was your favorite part of conference?"

Good changes?

I could see keeping the two Sunday sessions but eliminating the morning and afternoon sessions on Saturday, leaving the alternating Women's and PH sessions on Saturday evening. 3 sessions total. Of course the challenge then would be that it's 6 hours of droning instead of 10, not that much of a difference but still an improvement. We don't really need 30+ talks when it usually ends up being about 10 themes repeated three times each in slightly different ways.

I'd love to see a conference that had guest speakers. Commoner members with a message to share or even pull from people that aren't members of the church for a fresh perspective. get Jimmy Carter to give a talk. Tony Robbins, Jim Carrey, Malala Yousafzai, etc.

Oh, and more women speakers please. They were the highlight of this past conference.