Teaspoon of caffeine powder kills 21 year old

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
SamBee

Teaspoon of caffeine powder kills 21 year old

Post by SamBee » 08 Jul 2019, 09:18

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/fitne ... 9e2cbec4ab

Natural ingredients such as caffeine and green tea extract are among the most dangerous supplements in “common use,” with just a teaspoon enough to kill in some cases, a public health professor has warned

“People look at something like caffeine and they get a bit blasé about it,” he said. “They might forget about the cups of tea they’re drinking, the Coke they’re drinking. It does all add up.”

“A lot of these products have the maximum dose [of caffeine], which is 400 mg, but if you look at the product itself that would be a small spoonful. People are putting a heaped spoonful.”

An espresso coffee would have around 50-100 mg of caffeine, while some products containing green tea extract can be the equivalent of 20 cups of green tea. Prof Wardle said while deaths are rare and most supplement companies are trying to do the right thing, a legal loophole that allows supplements to be classified as foods rather than medicine has created a “legal grey zone” that is potentially dangerous for consumers.

“There’s no understanding of the risk of these things. If you’re selling this into the Australian market as a supplement there would be a lot more obligations,” he said, adding that the “more is more” gym culture can have “astounding” risks such as liver disease, anxiety and high-blood pressure.

The warning comes following the death of Lachlan Foote, a healthy 21-year-old who died after ingesting caffeine powder. His family have spoken out about the toxicity of the substance following a coroners report as a warning they hope will save lives.

“It turns out that Lachlan came home after celebrating New Year’s Eve with his friends and made a protein shake, innocently adding too much pure caffeine powder — a teaspoon is lethal,” his father, Nigel Foote, said.

It’s unclear where Lachlan had got the caffeine powder from, although it’s a commonly used supplement in fitness circles and the family believe it could have been shared among friends.

“It appears the pure caffeine powder was bought by someone else and shared, so it’s very likely that Lachlan never got to read the warning label on the packet and was unaware of its potency,” his father said.

“And the fact that he kept the caffeine powder in our kitchen pantry, where one of us might have mistaken it for flour or sugar, proves the point — Lachlan would never have kept it there had he known it was a threat to the family.”

The sports supplement industry was brought to regulatory attention last year following the death of bodybuilder Meegan Hefford, who died from a genetic disorder which stopped her breaking down the vast amounts of protein she was ingesting.

Caffeine and green tea extract featured heavily in the roundtable discussion with a summary report finding that pre-workout supplements were likely to contain “very high” levels of caffeine that could lead to “inherent risk”.

Restrictions on sales were discussed including the prospect of whether this could drive people toward less regulated purchases online.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

Roy

Re: Teaspoon of caffeine powder kills 21 year old

Post by Roy » 08 Jul 2019, 09:45

Fascinating!
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

Heber13

Post by Heber13 » 08 Jul 2019, 21:40

It sounds like taking a teaspoon of straight caffeine powder is a bad idea.

I'll stick to the liquid versions that have been tested by billions as not that bad.

Has anyone heard any new rumors on WoW changes coming?
Luke: "Why didn't you tell me? You told me Vader betrayed and murdered my father."
Obi-Wan: "Your father... was seduced by the dark side of the Force. He ceased to be Anakin Skywalker and became Darth Vader. When that happened, the good man who was your father was destroyed. So what I told you was true... from a certain point of view."
Luke: "A certain point of view?"
Obi-Wan: "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to...depend greatly on our point of view."

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 12 Jul 2019, 14:10

Heber13 wrote:
08 Jul 2019, 21:40
I'll stick to the liquid versions that have been tested by billions as not that bad.
Me too, seems safe enough. My current caffeine sources are soda (I prefer Dr. Pepper or Pepsi), V8 Energy (label says it has 80mg caffeine, is 50% juice but also includes the apparently evil green tea extract), Kickstart (82 mg), and the occasional actual iced tea (my go to is Pure Leaf which has 84 mg caffeine).

That said, I feel I must point out that the article never says how much pure caffeine the young man ingested. It does say a teaspoon may be fatal. A quick Google search reveals a teaspoon of may contain 2500-3000 mg of caffeine, but apparently there can be great variation and a teaspoon may contain as much as 7500 mg.

(No new rumors I've heard, only old rumors. But I can still hope!)
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction