God be with you till we hit the slopes

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
Daughter1

God be with you till we hit the slopes

Post by Daughter1 » 14 Apr 2019, 21:21

Important context for this story: I live in Denver, CO. Not in Utah.

I intended to go skiing this past Thursday. A big winter storm made the pass I needed to go over unsafe for my little sedan. I woke up that morning, prayed and told Heavenly Father that I really wanted the pass to be clear. If it wasn't, I still planned to ski, but the next day I could go would be Sunday. I would leave it up to Him to arrange things if He so chose. The pass was open, but the road cams showed it was still snow-packed. I stayed home.

This morning (Sunday) I got up early and loaded up my car to drive up for what's likely my last day for this season. I was excited. Didn't feel any guilt (I've rarely felt guilty for skipping church). Was mostly just ready to hit the road. All of my top 3 favorite radio stations were on commercial when I got in the car, so I swapped over to what I call the Christmas channel. Every city has one, I'm sure. They play non-offensive hits from the past 3 decades or so most of the year, then play 24/7 Christmas music starting mid-November. Well, I jumped over there and they had some guy speaking about love. He had a very nice, soothing presenter voice. A familiar voice. And what he was saying sounded like something out of General Conference. I was very confused. Then the singing started up and that also sounded very familiar. It sounded like TabCATS. No - it was TabCATS. My local station was broadcasting Music and the Spoken Word.

While my first reaction was shock and awe, my second thought has been verified by a quick bit of Google-fu. Bonneville Distribution owns the station. My last thought was an amused realization that this could be considered a divine indication of support for my skipping church to ski.

I thought people here would find this funny. I'm also now curious just how far Bonneville networks extend. If anyone knows, I would love to know.
I don't think there could ever be just one single philosophy or one single religion. Since there are so many different types of people, with a range of tendencies and inclinations, it is quite fitting that there are differences between religions. And the fact that there are so many different descriptions of the religious path shows how rich religion is. - HH the XIV Dalai Lama

DarkJedi

Re: God be with you till we hit the slopes

Post by DarkJedi » 15 Apr 2019, 08:25

I would rather our sacrament meetings be more like Music and the Spoken Word. Truth is I watched MatSW most Sundays in my inactive years and I continue to do so most Sundays. I am often more uplifted by MatSW than by SM.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction

Roy

Post by Roy » 15 Apr 2019, 11:59

That is an interesting alignment of events. More power to you to take your inspiration where you can find it! :thumbup:
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 15 Apr 2019, 14:33

I love it.

Bonneville owns stations all around the country. I know a couple of non-members who work for stations owned by Bonneville, and they like the culture (including some paid time off for service).
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken