I'm going to jail!

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
Katzpur

Re: I'm going to jail!

Post by Katzpur » 14 Mar 2019, 10:58

Minyan Man wrote:
13 Mar 2019, 14:51
Katzpur, PLEASE report back. You promised.
There's not a great deal to report, actually. I am still absolutely loving every minute of it. It has literally been close to two decades since I have actually looked forward to Sundays. One of the other teachers at the jail said that Jesus Christ walks through the halls of the jail. I don't think that anybody who serves there would disagree with that statement. Every week when we leave to go home, I feel so alive, so happy, and so rejuvenated. At the end of our home ward church services, I'd go home feeling empty, discouraged or angry. It's a 180 degree change, that's for sure. I am able to be my authentic self for the first time in years, and no one is looking down on me because of it. It's just so good to feel comfortable in a church setting again and to be able to interact with people who aren't trying to impress you with how righteous they are. The guys we teach are so humble and genuine that you can't help but love them. That's another thing... I always kind of cringe when I hear a Sacrament Meeting speaker, say, "Brothers and Sisters, I just love each and every one of you." I find myself thinking, "Yeah, but would you love me if you actually knew me? Probably not." But the sincerity and warmth the men we teach just warms your heart, and I find myself thinking, "I really love those men!" I guess this calling might not be for everyone, but it's definitely perfect for me. A couple from our home ward just got called to serve a temple mission in Nauvoo. When I heard about it, I couldn't help but almost feel sorry for them. I can't think of anywhere where I'd be much less comfortable or happy. I'll take jail any time.
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." ~Rudyard Kipling ~

Minyan Man

Post by Minyan Man » 14 Mar 2019, 13:02

Not a great deal to report? I beg to differ. Thank you. I needed that.

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 14 Mar 2019, 15:53

:thumbup: Respect.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi » 15 Mar 2019, 05:00

Katzpur wrote:
14 Mar 2019, 10:58
One of the other teachers at the jail said that Jesus Christ walks through the halls of the jail. I don't think that anybody who serves there would disagree with that statement.
I work in juvenile justice (education, and in this state it's a therapeutic model as opposed to a punitive model). I once worked in a prison. I have borne this testimony before. Some of my stronger Spiritual feelings have happened behind the gates and razor wire and I have at times been more uplifted there than in SM. I do not for one second believe that there are places the Spirit won't go, and I also believe the Spirit is much like the Savior Himself - that is, it's more likely to be found among the "sinners and publicans" than among the than among the "healthy" who need no physician.

(For the record, not every one believes me.)
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction