Rome Temple

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
Old-Timer
Site Admin

Re: Rome Temple

Post by Old-Timer »

I love how they constructed it.

Other than that, what OON said. It is on my bucket list.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken
Codependent

Post by Codependent »

I didn’t mind Moroni so much until he usurped the original angel on the Nauvoo Temple.
SamBee

Post by SamBee »

Codependent wrote: 19 Jan 2019, 00:53 I didn’t mind Moroni so much until he usurped the original angel on the Nauvoo Temple.
Why's Moroni become the symbol of our church? We don't like to put up crosses, because of idolatory, but non-members see his statue all over the place.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."
DarkJedi

Post by DarkJedi »

SamBee wrote: 19 Jan 2019, 03:12
Codependent wrote: 19 Jan 2019, 00:53 I didn’t mind Moroni so much until he usurped the original angel on the Nauvoo Temple.
Why's Moroni become the symbol of our church? We don't like to put up crosses, because of idolatory, but non-members see his statue all over the place.
I agree with your point about Moroni, but I had never heard we don't do the cross because of idolatry.
In the absence of knowledge or faith there is always hope.

Once there was a gentile...who came before Hillel. He said "Convert me on the condition that you teach me the whole Torah while I stand on one foot." Hillel converted him, saying: That which is despicable to you, do not do to your fellow, this is the whole Torah, and the rest is commentary, go and learn it."

My Introduction
SamBee

Post by SamBee »

DarkJedi wrote: 19 Jan 2019, 05:15
I agree with your point about Moroni, but I had never heard we don't do the cross because of idolatry.
I've heard this. Maybe it's a folk belief. I ignore it. I know members who wear crosses and have one or two myself. I have no issue with crosses whatsoever.

I know there are also some that think that we should focus on Christ's resurrection rather than just his death.

Probably differentiation from Catholics too.

(I don't have a particularly big problem with Moroni personally, but I do wonder how it looks like to non-members.)
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."
On Own Now

Post by On Own Now »

The Church needed a brand logo. This is common in today's world. You have to have a visual icon. In the auto world, some companies like Ford, Mercedes Benz and Chevy have long had a brand logo, so the following have all created a previously non-existing symbol to represent themselves outside of just their name: Toyota, Honda, Mazda, Nissan, where they used to just use the name itself.

It's all about brand recognition, and I say that in a non-negative sense.

Personally, I was really annoyed when Moroni crashed the party at the Provo, Idaho Falls, (and other) Temples.
- - -
“Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves.” ― Carl Jung
- - -
"Let us therefore no longer pass judgment on one another, but resolve instead never to put a stumbling block or hindrance in the way of another." ― Romans 14:13
- - -
dande48

Post by dande48 »

On Own Now wrote: 19 Jan 2019, 18:43 The Church needed a brand logo. This is common in today's world. You have to have a visual icon. In the auto world, some companies like Ford, Mercedes Benz and Chevy have long had a brand logo, so the following have all created a previously non-existing symbol to represent themselves outside of just their name: Toyota, Honda, Mazda, Nissan, where they used to just use the name itself.
Yeah, but let's face it. The Church has a seriously difficult time properly branding itself, and goes against all the good rules. Everyone can easily recognize and draw the cross, the Star of David, or the Star inside the cresent moon. Even the Dharma Wheel is not that difficult. But for the LDS Church? We've got a 3D golden statue of a guy in a robe, blowing a vuvuzela on top of a ball. It doesn't make for good iconography by any standard.

Of course, the Salt Lake Temple was even worse, with its outer iconography. We've got the all-seeing-eye, the handclasp, the cloudstones, sunstones, moon stones, star stones, earth stones, the big dipper, and the alpha-omega scroll. But even if we ended up just using the earth stone, sun stone, or cloud stone symbol, it would've been a major improvement. Easily recognized, identifiable, and drawn.
"The whole world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel." - Horace Walpole

"Even though there are no ways of knowing for sure, there are ways of knowing for pretty sure."
-Lemony Snicket
nibbler

Post by nibbler »

Don't call the church "Mormon." Rename everything. Get rid of it. Even the Mormon Tabernacle Choir.

Perfectly fine to put Moroni on top of all of our most sacred places.

Is it okay to brand on something other than Christ or isn't it?
I kept a diary right after I was born. Day 1: Tired from the move. Day 2: Everyone thinks I'm an idiot.
— Steven Wright
SamBee

Post by SamBee »

Moroni works well as a heraldic emblem but not a corporate logo.

I had a look at some more footage. A few conclusions:

* As suspected it is in a modern part of Rome. It is much nicer than the surrounding buildings.
* It is one of the best quality temples out there and has influences from Italian architecture.
* It will never best the old churches of Rome, but it is beautiful compared.some modern architecture.
Sheldon

Post by Sheldon »

I expect that during the tourist season, the majority of patrons will be visitors from the US. Much like the Nauvoo temple is mostly a tourist spot temple with visitors.