End of World War I

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
dande48

Re: End of World War I

Post by dande48 » 12 Nov 2018, 23:17

Minyan Man wrote:
12 Nov 2018, 14:08
It is interesting doing my Family History, how many people in my family serviced in the major conflicts throughout the
history of our country & they either didn't talk about it or tried to ignore it altogether. For example, my Dad & Uncles
served in WWII. They all saw action, came home & never talked about it again.
I'm not suprised. War is an awful thing.
Earnest Hemingway wrote:"They wrote in the old days that it is sweet and fitting to die for one's country. But in modern war, there is nothing sweet nor fitting in your dying. You will die like a dog for no good reason."
I am grateful, in the past 100 years since WWI, we've been able to grow as much as we have in the world. Things are far from perfect, but as a whole, the world is night-and-day a better place.
"The whole world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel." - Horace Walpole

"Even though there are no ways of knowing for sure, there are ways of knowing for pretty sure."
-Lemony Snicket

mom3

Post by mom3 » 13 Nov 2018, 21:11

My sister just sent the following out to my family. We had already planned our own private Moment of Silence because of my Great Uncle who served in the war. She and her family were going to sneak out back and stand on the lawn at church at 11. And stand in remembrance. Then..
Elders’ Quorum was going to have a moment of silence in honor of the Armistice and that I was welcome to join them in the chapel for it. I agreed and a few minutes before 11, I joined the brethren in the choir seats.

At 11, the Elders’ Quorum president signaled for the instructor to sit down. Everyone sat with bowed heads. After about 20 seconds, from the back of the group, a man’s voice rang out, “Dear Father in Heaven, We are grateful for this day. We thank Thee for the lesson our instructor has taught us….” On he went, asking for protection as we drove home, asking for blessings on the sick and others who weren’t there, giving, in short, a benediction to the meeting, completely oblivious of the real reason why everyone was quiet. After he said, “Amen” we continued on in silence for a moment and then the Elders’ Quorum president indicated to the instructor to begin the lesson where he had left off.
"I stayed because it was God and Jesus Christ that I wanted to follow and be like, not individual human beings." Chieko Okazaki Dialogue interview

"I am coming to envision a new persona for the Church as humble followers of Jesus Christ....Joseph and his early followers came forth with lots of triumphalist rhetoric, but I think we need a new voice, one of humility, friendship and service. We should teach people to believe in God because it will soften their hearts and make them more willing to serve." - Richard Bushman

Reuben

Post by Reuben » 14 Nov 2018, 01:43

:shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:
My intro

Love before dogma. Truth before loyalty. Knowledge before certainty.

SamBee

Post by SamBee » 15 Nov 2018, 03:58

I think most people in Europe, North America, South Africa, Australia and New Zealand have relatives who died in WWI. I know I do.

A nice German lady in our ward was conspicuous by her absence. I do wonder if it was uncomfortable for her.
DASH1730 "An Area Authority...[was] asked...who...would go to the Telestial kingdom. His answer: "murderers, adulterers and a lot of surprised Mormons!"'
1ST PRES 1978 "[LDS] believe...there is truth in many religions and philosophies...good and great religious leaders... have raised the spiritual, moral, and ethical awareness of their people. When we speak of The [LDS] as the only true church...it is...authorized to administer the ordinances...by Jesus Christ... we do not mean... it is the only teacher of truth."

Gerald

Post by Gerald » 18 Nov 2018, 07:15

The anniversary was mentioned briefly in Sunday School last week. That's about as far as it went in our ward.
So through the dusk of dead, blank-legended And unremunerative years we search to get where life begins, and still we groan because we do not find the living spark where no spark ever was; and thus we die, still searching, like poor old astronomers who totter off to bed and go to sleep, to dream of untriangulated stars.
---Edwin Arlington Robinson---