Boy Scouts allow Girls now

Public forum for topics that don't fit into the other categories.
gospeltangents

Re: Boy Scouts allow Girls now

Post by gospeltangents » 12 Oct 2017, 12:41

I think it was the opposite effect. The church pulling out of Boy Scouts caused big financial distress, and to counteract that loss of financial support, the Boy Scouts needed to attract new members somehow, and hey, half the population is female!
See my latest interviews on Mormon History, Science & Theology at www.gospeltangents.com

Roy

Post by Roy » 12 Oct 2017, 14:44

Just to state clearly, the chartering organization would still have the decision on how to proceed. Nobody is forcing individual troops to accept girls.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

LookingHard

Post by LookingHard » 12 Oct 2017, 16:45

Roy wrote:
12 Oct 2017, 14:44
Just to state clearly, the chartering organization would still have the decision on how to proceed. Nobody is forcing individual troops to accept girls.
True. In fact the same is true today (and has been for 15+ years) in the Venturing part of scouts (what the 16/17 year olds participate in). Each group decides if they are male only, female only, and mixed. I even know a member of the church that went to a all-girls venturing post (nothing to do with the church - but several girls from the stake were in it).

hawkgrrrl
Site Admin

Post by hawkgrrrl » 12 Oct 2017, 20:33

Well, here's an analogy in Mormon terms. It's as if the Priesthood was going broke when it lost a big donor, and it realized that the Relief Society was an untapped wellspring of money and had fundraising capabilities, so they Correlated them under the Priesthood umbrella.

dande48

Post by dande48 » 13 Oct 2017, 12:05

I was going to say, "Boy Scouts is a non-profit organization. They're not concerned about profit!" Then I looked it up...

Their CEO, Roy Williams, brings in $1.6mil a year. That makes him the 5th highest paid non-profit CEO in the world. :P Wish I could could make me some non-profits.
"Sir, it's quite possible this asteroid is not entirely stable." - C-3PO

Reflexzero

Post by Reflexzero » 15 Oct 2017, 07:49

Girl Scouts requires that females are in the administration.

Curt Sunshine
Site Admin

Post by Curt Sunshine » 16 Oct 2017, 18:02

It is purely financial - and a direct result of losing the LDS Church as the biggest financial contributor. They had to try to replace the Mormon boys with someone, and girls was the only demographic that was large enough to do so.

The irony is delicious.
I see through my glass, darkly - as I play my saxophone in harmony with the other instruments in God's orchestra. (h/t Elder Joseph Wirthlin)

Even if people view many things differently, the core Gospel principles (LOVE; belief in the unseen but hoped; self-reflective change; symbolic cleansing; striving to recognize the will of the divine; never giving up) are universal.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken

SilentDawning

Post by SilentDawning » 16 Oct 2017, 19:32

I think it's funny they have no intention of changing the name of Boy Scouts of America now that there are girls in it.

Could they just call it Scouts of America? Or Best Scouts of America to keep the BSA acronym?

Why have they lost so much church membership? Was it due to the inclusion of gay men as leaders?
"It doesn't have to be about the Church (church) all the time!" -- SD

"Stage 5 is where you no longer believe the gospel as its literally or traditionally taught. Nonetheless, you find your own way to be active and at peace within it". -- SD

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."

My introduction: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1576

LookingHard

Post by LookingHard » 16 Oct 2017, 20:45

SilentDawning wrote:
16 Oct 2017, 19:32
I think it's funny they have no intention of changing the name of Boy Scouts of America now that there are girls in it.

Could they just call it Scouts of America? Or Best Scouts of America to keep the BSA acronym?

Why have they lost so much church membership? Was it due to the inclusion of gay men as leaders?
Boys were just losing interest WAY before they started talking about allowing gay people in. It is a trend for quite a while.