Happy to find a safe space

Public forum, tell us about yourself and what brings you to StayLDS!
Off the Rameumptom

Re: Happy to find a safe space

Post by Off the Rameumptom » 17 May 2018, 11:21

First of all, thank you all for the warm welcome. I'm sure it's becoming an increasingly busy job with all the shakers and movers out there!

Second, I am so happy to hear that the church doesn't condone conversion therapy anymore, and I don't know how I missed that announcement, but I just googled it, and it was official in March 2016. So, yay! that is an important step . . . I have heard of bishops recommending it in the last few months, but they may be going rogue. Because leadership-roulette.

I LOVE the ideas and suggestions on the speaking out and being authentic yet respectful. I have withheld from commenting in Sunday school altogether because of fear of either damaging others' faith or being considered on the fringe. I LOVE the idea of drawing the line on culture vs doctrine and LOVE the idea of NOT speaking when feeling confrontational. It certainly would be good advice for my marriage too! My poor husband ...

Again, thank you for creating and maintaining this forum. It is such an important place for me right now. Just knowing y'all are out there :)

And is there a good discussion on here regarding LDS co-parenting when one partner has changed his or her world view since becoming a parent, or should I start one? I didn't find one in a search.
"Live as if you were living a second time, and as though you had acted wrongly the first time." --Viktor E. Frankl

“Just because we don't understand doesn't mean that the explanation doesn't exist.”
― Madeleine L'Engle

Roy

Post by Roy » 17 May 2018, 14:41

Off the Rameumptom wrote:
17 May 2018, 11:21
Second, I am so happy to hear that the church doesn't condone conversion therapy anymore, and I don't know how I missed that announcement, but I just googled it, and it was official in March 2016. So, yay! that is an important step . . . I have heard of bishops recommending it in the last few months, but they may be going rogue. Because leadership-roulette.
I believe that bishops are doing the best that they can with little guidance. At current a young person with SSA can A) commit to live a celibate life in the church, B) get married to a person of the opposite gender but only if they feel some attraction for that person and never in an effort to cure SSA (sounds like this may be an option for people that are bi-sexual), or C) leave the church and explore homosexual companionship.

I also believe that a fairly current and prevalent opinion is that SSA is a result of a fallen mortal condition that will be removed in the next life. Once again not much for a bishop to offer in regards to hope and fulfillment in this life.
Off the Rameumptom wrote:
17 May 2018, 11:21
And is there a good discussion on here regarding LDS co-parenting when one partner has changed his or her world view since becoming a parent, or should I start one? I didn't find one in a search.
Please start a new thread on the topic. That way we can explore your specific concerns.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13

Rumin8

Post by Rumin8 » 20 May 2018, 17:32

Welcome, OTR. I love the name, for sure. It reminds me of a time in EQ where our instructor, as part of his lesson, read the prayer from the Rameumptom in a Monty Python British accent. We were in stitches, and remains one of my favorite lessons of all time. I suggest this method to anyone reading that section of the BOM.

One of my biggest issues with the church as an organization is how it lags behind on what I view as important social issues. On the gay front, I have a unique perspective of having relatives both in and out of the church. They have chosen different paths, and it’s been interesting to observe. That said, I have some definite opinions on the matter.

On feeling safe to speak up... I’m not there yet. But I’m close. What was a game changer for me is when I realized that the members in my ward are not as Orthodox as I thought. I’m fortunate to have a close cadre of friends with whom I can have real and critical dialogue. We often don’t agree but it works. Perhaps some day you will find like minded, or at least open minded friends that you can open up to. It’s literally changed my life for the good, it having to constantly internalize everything.

Again, welcome, and see you around!
"Moderation in all things, especially moderation." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Be excellent to each other." - Abraham Lincoln to Bill & Ted