My Story (Glad to find this place)

Public forum, tell us about yourself and what brings you to StayLDS!
Roy

Re: My Story (Glad to find this place)

Post by Roy » 24 Apr 2018, 12:33

I have been participating in multiple churches for years. Part of this is because we find much more engaging children's programs elsewhere (seriously the LDS primary is pretty awful). Another part of this was that the services of some other churches where we participate are regularly more inspiring and motivational. The pastors can be quite good at their job and there is an incentive for the pastor individually and the church body generally to seek better sermons.

I find the general level off Acceptance and "come as you are" refreshing. I also enjoy seeing old things with new eyes. I love to see the old familiar scripture stories taught with a different and equally valid focus or interpretation.

In summary, the LDS church is not so great at engaging, inspirational, and motivational meetings. None of us here would be particularly surprised at that.

Why then do I not just begin attending these other churches full time and leave the LDS in the rear view mirror? Because I have found that there are some things that the LDS church excels at that many other churches have significant difficulty to offer.

Stupid analogy time:

Imagine that I was running out of gas in my car and I prayed to know where I should go. First I came upon a grocery store and no matter how hard I looked I could not find gas anywhere. I left disappointed but found another store a few miles down the road. This one was a gas station and convenience store. It had some of the same things that the grocery store offered and it had gas! Does this mean that God only wants me to shop at the gas station from now on?

I do believe that God can answer prayers and even that God could lead you out of the LDS church (particularly if it was actively harmful to your personal well being). OTOH, I would be very careful in interpreting feelings or events as divine instruction to make permanent - life altering changes.

Somewhat ironically the LDS scripture to study it out in your mind and seek confirmation in your heart seems to apply well here. If after extended study, analysis, and contemplation - weighing all sides of a decision before you come to a conclusion AND THEN you pray about it and feel a positive confirming feeling in your heart that your decision is the correct one for both you and your family - under those circumstances I would say that you are more than likely moving in the right direction and should carry on.

We here are geared towards helping people stay LDS, however we also support individuals who have made a careful and diligent decision to step away.
"It is not so much the pain and suffering of life which crushes the individual as it is its meaninglessness and hopelessness." C. A. Elwood

“It is not the function of religion to answer all the questions about God’s moral government of the universe, but to give one courage, through faith, to go on in the face of questions he never finds the answer to in his present status.” TPC: Harold B. Lee 223

"I struggle now with establishing my faith that God may always be there, but may not always need to intervene" Heber13